Home Buying in Cedar Park>Question Details

Jaclynn, Home Buyer in Aptos, CA

HOA or non-HOA? Pros and Cons. How can I search for homes without an HOA?

Asked by Jaclynn, Aptos, CA Mon May 5, 2014

Answers

3
Hello Jaclynn,

I know you posted this last week but wanted to get back to you. I am an agent who has lived in Cedar Park for the past 10 years. The pros of being in an HOA can also be negatives to some people. For instance. The HOA does a lot of good things like maintaining the common areas. If the neighborhood has a pool your fees go to keep the pool or pools in good shape and pay for lifeguards as in my community. HOA's may also have rules you don't like as well. Most of these are to preserve the value of homes but at times they can be or feel restrictive.

It is always good to look at the an HOA's bylaws and CC&R's (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) to make sure they may not interfere with something you would want to do with the property once it becomes yours. In our contracts we list a provision that once you are supplied with these documents you have a certain amount of time to review and back out of the contract to receive all of your earnest money back should there be an issues. In most cases there will not be but again, it depends on what you would like to do.

In my area here in Cedar Park and just about the entire Austin area in reality a typical HOA restriction may dictate some things such as; If you have a mobile home it cannot be parked outside your home for more than a few days. You also most likely will not be able to store boats or the same mobile homes on your property. HOA's will typically send you a notice if your lawn or landscaping gets a little too crazy or overgrown looking. So in most cases people will agree that these rules help to preserve the property value of the homes of everybody but it is always good to know and understand what these rules are before you buy. It's always better to have knowledge... in most cases you can go to the HOA's website and download the CC&R's and bylaws on the website. The time I mentioned previously about "getting out" of your contract refers to when the title company provides you with a copy. It's one of many important dates on a contract to understand so you have all of your available options known to you.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you on your move and if you would like additional information on Cedar Park or the surrounding areas or cities please do not hesitate to call or email me.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTORĀ® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.austinlisted.com
Ask a Realtor to set you up in the MLS system to receive listing based on your criteria. And they can select HOA or no HOA.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 5, 2014
Hi Jaclyn,

My property on 16611 Black Kettle Drive in Leander, Tx, located in Block House Creek does NOT have an HOA, but it is in a neighborhood that does. Apparently this newly renovated house was built before the HOA was in place, so it gets all the benefits of an HOA without paying the dues!

The pics on this website are not up to date! Email me at p-7sabr19@austin.rr.com to get the latest pics!

Paula

Paula Sabrsula
SuVida Enterprises