Fungirl, Home Buyer in Washington, DC

HOA Fees

Asked by Fungirl, Washington, DC Tue Jun 21, 2011

Is it hard trying to find a town home with no HOA Fees.? I'm looking around on line for a townhome that does not have any HOA fees. Something in the price range of $99,000 - maybe $120,000. Once I pay my morgage, I don't want to have to worry about comeing up with $200-300 more per month for a HOA Fee. I already know that my score is 660 but I want to have it at 700 before going out looking at anything. My maximum approval for a home is $170,000.

Answers

2
Almost all townhomes that are in a subdivision are managed by a homeowners association. HOA fees are typically not as high as $200-$300 however. You may be thinking of condo fees, which some townhome style properties also have. But in most cases HOA fees will range anywhere from $40-$90/mo. Many are paid quarterly. The HOA fee covers any amenities that the subdivision provides, care of common areas, services such as snow removal, and enforcement of community rules. If you want something without an HOA you might consider a rowhome, such as those in DC and Baltimore, that are not part of a planned subdivision. Or you can always choose a detached house.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 21, 2011
Older townhomes generally have HOA fees in the $300 per year range, while some of the newer ones are actually part of a condominium association and you will see the $200-$300 per month.

It is very easy for agents to search and sort townhomes by HOA and Condo fees. If you would like and assistance, just let me know.