Jstone, Home Buyer in 01545

HI, Can you provide a list of recommended home inspectors for the Westborough/Shrewsbury, MA areas. We are in the process and need to find one asap.

Asked by Jstone, 01545 Mon Aug 15, 2011

Need a good home inspector that will be thorough and work for the buyer. Hesitant to go with one recommended by agent. Thanks.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
Here's a link to a web site that will get you to licensed home inspectors in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Your concern is valid and addressed in Massachusetts General Law at the time of home inspector licensing.

A MA Real Estate Broker or Salesperson can only recommend a home inspector when they have a signed exclusive buyer's agent agreement with the buyer. Without that signed agreement, the agent is not obligated to represent your interest. See the web reference link for official information.

The home purchase process is very emotional. I recommend you find a buyer agent you trust and sign the agreement as an exclusive buyer's agent.

Home inspector presentation styles vary for the same technical information. An experience buyer's agent has worked with many home inspectors and can provide valuable insight to their presentation style.

For example, an exterior electrical receptacle does not have a weather proof cover.
One inspector may not mention anything as long as the polarity and GFCI protection is correct.
Another inspector may alert this as a safety hazard due to the change in building practices and risk of shock/fire.
Another inspector may simply recommend repair/replacement without a safety hazard concern.

Each of these may be interpreted as meeting the MA Home Inspector Standards of Practice.

My recommendation is to perform an internet search and select a few inspectors for a phone interview. Discuss a concern you might have about the home. The exterior electric receptacle is one of many possible concerns. Select the inspector that communicates the significance of the concern in a manner that makes sense to you.

If you need additional help, feel free to contact me. I also provide MA Home Inspector training.

Jim Mushinsky
Centsable Inspection
Midstate Home Inspections, Grafton St, Shrewsbury, Ma 877-754-7548, Danny. I personally used him a lot of times when buying investment properties
Hi Jstone,

You received some great answers below. I know you are looking for outside referrals but I have to encourage you to trust your agent's recommendations. The reason I say this is....if you trusted your agent enough to want to work with him or her in finding your new HOME, I would think your agent has trusted vendors who will serve as extensions to his or her services. If you can't trust your agent's recommendations, you can't trust your agent.

Best wishes!
The State of Massachusetts has a licensed list of Home Inspectors for you to choose from:
http://license.reg.state.ma.us/pubLic/hi_biz/v_list_hi.asp -
Your next best option is to ask a friend, family member & your agent should be giving you a minimum of three Home Inspector referrals.
Best of Luck & Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you!
Joyce Kelley, Realtor - 508-277-9653 (Direct)
Poole Home Inspecations (508) 872-0505

Rich Shapiro
Asset Mortgage Group
Does anyone have any personal experience as a buyer and can recommend one?
Kellyann read Rachelle answer below please.
Here is a list of all licensed home inspectors in Massachusetts. You can also search by town. http://license.reg.state.ma.us/public/hi_biz/v_list_hi.asp

Also here is a search from the Association of Home Inspectors, ASHI. http://www.ashi.org/find/default.aspx
Sherlock Homes located in Northboro, MA Kenny Hunt is his name and he is awesome 508-393-5175
Rachelle is right and you may also want to go onto the ASHI web site.

Real estate law doesn't allow an agent to recommend a specific home inspector to a non-client. This is a link to the list of MA licensed home inspectors
If you have an agent, they should be able to make a suggestion. If not, you could try speaking with neighbors or local contractors or service people. Good luck!