Home Buying in Madison>Question Details

Karen Stampf…, Home Buyer in Apache Junction, AZ

Good neighborhoods that are gay friendly on Madison's East side

Asked by Karen Stampfli, Apache Junction, AZ Sun Jul 7, 2013

Answers

4
The Fair Housing Act is a set of federal, state, and local civil rights laws that protect people from discrimination in all housing related transactions, including rentals, sales mortgages, appraisals, advertising, etc.

While gay folks are not included as a "protected class", one would do well to avoid any semblance of STEERING. (It's on the Google.)

Madison is, overall, pretty gay-friendly but it would be difficult to draw a RED LINE around one area and proclaim it to be the The Castro of our city.

You can hardly swing a dead cat around here without smacking a gay realtor in the...well, without hitting a gay realtor.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 7, 2013
Karen, we bought our house 4 years ago on East side of Madison and it happened to be super gay friendly area/street. Our neighbors across street happen to be a gay couple, our neighbors two doors to our left happened to be a lesbian couple, corner house on our street is another lesbian couple, and if I am not wrong we have two more lesbian couples living in our area. We live on Oak Valley drive, off Thompson drive. It is a great area to be in and all neighbors look out for each other and help each other out during snow season with snow shuffling and etc. This area is only 5 min from east town mall and our street is not busy at all. Plus lots of restaurants with 5 min drive as well and only 15 min from downtown.
Karen,
As the previous answer suggests this is not a conversation that can be had over the internet.
It is a very personal conversation that may be best shared after selecting your Realtor of choice.

Madison is a very Gay friendly community and that includes a wide selection of Gay friendly Realtors.

If would be as well to interview a couple and find one that appeals to you, and can answer your questions.

I wish you well in your home search.
Bill E is almost right. Sexual Orientation is a protected class. There are a number of organizations that cater to that particular niche market and one would do well to start with those for feedback on your question. Google lgbt Madison and I'm sure you will get more info than you need. I have gay friends all over the area east/west or downtown. Most choose to live close to work as opposed "their people" since you can be anywhere in 20 minutes or so. I can put you in touch w/ my Concierge to help coordinate your move. Hope this helps. Eric
Perhaps you would like to post a link to the Federal Fair Housing Act...specifically the part that plainly states that homosexuality is a protected class?
Flag Sun Jul 7, 2013