Home Buying in Monroe>Question Details

Ann, Home Buyer in Monroe, MI

Good Neighbor Next Door HUD program? HUD homes are available in my area. Can I as a teacher purchase a HUD?

Asked by Ann, Monroe, MI Fri Mar 28, 2008

home through the GNND program, (teachers, police officers get a 50% discount on the purchase price of a HUD home) on any listed HUD home, or does the HUD home have to be in a revitalization zone, deemed by HUD? Thanks for your response - Ann

Answers

5
Good neighbor next door program is great but it does have some rules. First you have to bid on a home within the rivitalization area and if you are a teacher you have to teach at the school that is within that school boundary. So it can be hard sometimes for a teacher to find a HUD and home and get a job at the near by school all at once. However if the teacher works at a private or charter school where the school boundary is all over the place then they can pretty much have there pick of HUDs within that school boundary. also I your not supposed to "bid" when doing this program, as in you cant hagle the price down, you bid the asking price and then if you win you pay half the cost of the asking price.
Ann, there are a few HUD-owned homes available--2 in Monroe, 1 in W. Monroe. Anyone can make an offer on one. It is a competitive bid process. Would you like for me to email listings to you? You can search on my website or I will email info on homes automatically as they come on the market. Just let me know which you prefer.
Dear Ann,

You are right! The good neighbor next door program covers revitalization zones but you would be surprised at what you could get. However, you can place a bid on a HUD home not in one of those areas and still get a great deal.

Melody Botting
RE/MAX Empire Realty
Any qualified buyer can bid on a HUD home. Contact a local Real Estate Professional to help you preferably with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage.
Any qualified buyer can bid on a HUD home.