Home Buying in Glen Ellyn>Question Details

Refresh73, Home Seller in Dupage County, IL

Going to be putting our home on the market soon. What types of questions should be asked when interviewing Realtors?

Asked by Refresh73, Dupage County, IL Mon Mar 18, 2013

Also, do people accept contingencies anymore, based on the sale of our home?

Answers

11
How they will market the home is the most important factor. You want to make sure the realtor communicates well and is competent to negotiate with other realtors on your behalf. I work in Downers Grove and know many quality realtors in the area. Please email or call if you want their contact information.

If you need help with a new mortgage, I can help as we deal directly with Fannie Mae and Ginnie Mae and fund the loans in our name. We aren't waiting around on the big banks to approve the deal. We staff our own underwriting department and get things done quickly. You can call me at (630) 639-1081 and I can give you a pre-approval the same day and help you find a quality realtor in the area.

We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (630) 639-1081.

Brad Neumann
Sr. Loan Officer
Mobile Phone: (630) 639-1081
Email: bneumann@myccmortgage.com
3130 Finley Rd. Suite 510C
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Q: What Questions Should I Ask an Agent Interested in Selling My Home?

A: Interview at least three local agents who sell homes in your community. Grill them about the following:

The worth of your home. The agents should inspect the home and prepare a written comparative market analysis.

Marketing plans. These are a must. Make sure they include regular newspaper ads, the local Multiple Listing Service (MLS) – which gives your home maximum exposure to all local agents – and Internet marketing through the agent’s Web site.

Length of the listing agreement. A 90-day listing is reasonable for marketing your home. Experts advise against signing a listing for more than 90 days unless it contains an unconditional cancellation clause. If you like, you can always extend the contract later.

Number of listings. Find out how many listings the agent now has and how many she normally sells. Too many listings – more than a dozen – with a low sales rate, may not be a good sign.

Get references. Ask for the names and phone numbers of recent home sellers. Call them and ask if they were satisfied with the level of service delivered by the agent.

Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2013. All rights reserved.
Here's a blog I wrote about "Tips for Hiring a Real Estate Agent" as well as questions to ask them:
http://www.trulia.com/blog/KevinHudoba/2013/06/tips_to_findi…

1) Are you a full time agent?
2) How many homes did you sell last year, & how many have you already sold this year?
3) What percentage of your business is listings?
4) How many listings do you have right now that are active? How many are under contract?
5) What is your marketing plan for getting my property the best exposure to buyers in the least amount of time?
6) What is your average "Days on Market"
7) Do you do open houses?
8) Can you send me a market analysis to determine what price you would list at?
9) Have you noticed anything in my house that would deter a qualified buyer?
10) What can I expect in working with you?

Hiring an experienced listing agent can be one of the best things you can do to sell for top dollar in the least amount of time. You should look for someone that will be honest with you & tell you the truth about your home rather than simply "please you" just to get hired for the job.

Your listing agent should be an EXPERT with marketing. That's what you're hiring them for!!!

Also, ask them to show you the last few properties they listed & sold as well as some commentary about each "story." The listing agent should also be able to give you some references from a few sellers that he/she has recently worked with that can verify their experience in working with them.

I hope this is helpful, & I wish you the best!

Kevin Hudoba
Real Estate Agent
Exit Realty Redefined
630-677-5559
Kevin.Hudoba1@gmail.com
your question........"So, you should find a home first, and then put your home on the market once you've found the house you want?"

my response.......that depends on multiple factors. it is very difficult these days to time both closings (your sale and your purchase) on the same day and most sellers do not accept sale contingencies in today's market. if you are comfortable and financially capable of owning both homes for a period of time, then you could buy first and sell afterwards. many people are not comfortable with this and need to or want to sell first. in this case, you are best advised to have a temporary place to live after you sell until you can find, buy and close on your new purchase (if you can find, buy and close on your new home in time to move directly from your existing home OR if you can arrange to stay/rent back in your home post close, great! ) but, in today's uncertain market better to have plan B available than be caught without a place to stay. on one end of the spectrum you own two homes, on the other end, you are homeless (temporarily between homes).....chose your poison.

Lester S.
"Lester the Lister"
RE/MAX 1st
630.207.2532
LestertheLister@yahoo.com
Hi Refresh, is this the home in Franklin Park or elsewhere? Do not use the reply link below, it does not get to us........contact me directly.

Lester S
"Lester the Lister"
RE/MAX 1st
630.207.2532
LestertheLister@yahoo.com
How long have you been in the business?
Are you a FULL TIME realtor?
How many homes did you sell last year?
What is your average sales plrice?
What are your marketing strategies to sell my home?

Experience in the business and knowledge of the area are key points you want your Real Estate Broker to have. You also want to know that they work for a company that is reputable and is part of the Multiple Listing Services so that your home gets proper exposure.

Let me sit down with you and show you my strategey for a Successful Sale for Top Dollar
Web Reference: http://iaccino.com
I agree with Stephen. There are many great Realtors in Glen Ellyn. Glen Ellyn is a boutique town and many buyers want to live here. There just isn't much inventory for sale which creates multiple offers. That's good for you, the seller.

My suggestion is to talk to a few local agents and go with who you feel most comfortable with. I stress LOCAL because there is alot of buying and selling going on prior to properties going onto the mls. I know agents outside this area may not agree but they aren't on all our Thursday broker tours to share information.

Most won't accept a contigency to sell but will accept a contingency to close.

Make sure you have a couple of properties in mind to move to because your house may sell very quickly.

Good luck to you!!!!!
So, you should find a home first, and then put your home on the market once you've found the house you want?
Flag Tue Mar 19, 2013
Really the first question is how much business does your company do in Glen Ellyn. Living in Glen Ellyn you know it is Glen Ellyn. I would listen to your gut, and meet 2 or 3 agents and who you and your family are comfortable with. I am with Koenig & Strey but there are good agents in all the offices, Keller Williams, Baird and Warner, ReMax and Coldwell Banker all having offices in Glen Ellyn, and I know that anyone for the offices in town will be happy to meet and discuss your home. The inventory level in Glen Ellyn is low and has made a swing to homes having more than one offer. Most homes in Glen Ellyn if any have not been taking contingencies on home sales but on home close and mortgage contingencies are common. The seller also pays the city of Glen Ellyn 3 dollars per thousand for the privilage of selling in Glen Ellyn. You also, have a water inspection from the city that will need to be performed before closing. I am sure you will find a great REALTOR in Glen Ellyn that will help you with the process. Stephen Haas, Koenig & Strey.
Basically it is not so much which of the questions you ask, remember the Agent will also ask YOU questions, it is not just YOU interviewing the agent, the agent is also interviewing YOU, are your expectations reasonable, are you ready to cooperate with showings and open houses as the Realtor
would prefer you do, are you ready to prepare your home well, in case it needs some little upgrades
(from painting some walls, to moving furniture, or even removing items etc. etc.) but at the end what you
really want is a Realtor who is very honest and straightforward with you, about what they will do to
market and advertise your home, open houses, showings etc., and also about the pricing.....

Sometimes and more often than not the agent who shows you the true numbers, and makes a market
friendly yet competitive pricing suggestion is the very best, as they know what the market at a certain time can handle, depending on your urgency to sell.

But at the end, it is the agent you have the very best rapport with you will work with, as communication and understanding each other is most important to a well rounded relationship
from the very start of a listing contract until the very end and it will be your agent negotiating on your behalf and in your very BEST interest, and hopefully he or she will do the very same when explaining
his or her own value as your Realtor to YOU.....

Ask any question, voice any concern, listen carefully, answer all of the agents questions, show your
home and at the end you will know if you will know if you are a good fit for each other.

It is like selecting your dentist or family doctor, attorney, you want someone with expertise and
experience, someone who understands your needs and worries, and when it comes to a Realtor
one you can reach anytime you need to talk or ask a question.

Good Luck to you, if you need a recommendation let me know I gladly send one your way.
Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
You need to ask them how much experience they have, whether they are full time or part time, where your home will be marketed, how they use technology. Finding the right agent has a lot to do with your own personality and how comfortable you feel with the agent. After all this is a major transaction so you want to be comfortable with your agent's style and make sure your priorities are theirs.
Many of the questions you should be asking your candidates have to do with how they will work with you. Realtors need to be proficient at marketing, negotiating and communicating. Some are much more technologically saavy than others. Just like with any service provider, determine in advance what is important to you. Ask the appropriate questions to get the responses you are looking for. Realtors can cover large geographic areas and multiple units. Someone who is stretched too thin may not be a good fit either.

Some sellers will accept a home sale contingency, but most will not. It completely depends on the situation and how the offer is presented to the seller. If your agent just sends a contract, it has little chance of sticking. If they do their due dilligence and present a good case for the seller as well as the market for your home, you have a better shot.

Geoff Ommen
Broker Baird&Warner
847-271-2622
geoff.ommen@bairdwarner.com
http://www.geoffgetsit.com