Home Buying in Destin>Question Details

tricia.wyatt…, Home Buyer in Destin, FL

Glass pool enclosure vs screen - any recommendations? Many thanks!

Asked by tricia.wyattearp.martin21, Destin, FL Sun May 6, 2012

We are seriously considering a move to the Destin area of Florida and see that most listings have enclosed pools. I am thinking humidity, etc. would be a problem with a glass enclosure?

I agree with the anser about the screens. The temperatures inside of a glass enclosure might be extreme. i have seen several home with glass doos that disapear. interesting idea.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 11, 2012
I don't see there being a problem with glass fencing. It gives you a nice, unobstructed for the pool. Whenever someone has a pool, there should be some type of fencing to make sure that no kids accidentally fall in when no one is looking. It's better to play it safe that way. http://www.craftsmanfencing.com.au/pr_glasspoolfencing.htm
I think that it would still be a good idea to get a glass enclosure. It would look really nice in your yard, and help keep the heat in. It would be pretty easy to clean as well. I think that it would definitely help give your yard a unique look and style.

Mary Jane | http://www.gofencing.com.au/product-category/frameless-glass…
Hello Tricia,

Screen enclosures are a much better way to go with Florida weather. The humidity can break the seal between the windows and you end up replacing windows. Screens are great and much less expensive if you have to replace a panel for any reason. Pool enclosures are great to have in the Destin area. Please feel free to email or call if you have any other questions.

Carter Bearinger
Re/Max Southern Realty Destin
I really feel like this is a matter of preference. I don't disagree that screen enclosures are cheaper, but I think glass pool fencing looks far superior. I certainly wouldn't enclose my pool in a glass building, but a three or four foot fence is great.

Flag Wed Sep 17, 2014
Tricia, I would highly recommend a screened enclosure over a glass enclosure in Destin. We get a lot of nice breezes from the Gulf of Mexico and it makes it very pleasant being out by your pool. You can also make sure you have ceiling fans on your covered porch area and that will also create some air movement inside your pool enclosure. In my opinion, a glass enclosure would make it feel like a greenhouse - TOO HOT!!

Hope this information is helpful.
Depending on your budget, sounds like a glass enclosure would be more like being in a terariam. Most of the pools your are seeing, and probably from a distance, are actually screened in lanais. The screening will help keep leaves and other debris out of the pool and keep the bugs away so you can enjoy the days and evenings at the pool, and the wonderful breezes that will come off the Gulf of Mexico. Depending on the size of the pool area you want enclosed, it will cost in the neighborhood of $7000-12000 just to give you a ball park figure.
Hi Tricia,

Most of the pools in this area that are enclosed are enclosed with screening--wind can pass through in storms, but it keeps the bugs and leaves, etc out of the pool. You are correct that humidity would be a huge problem unless there was an appropriate ac system installed, making it very expensive!!

Myke Triebold, GRI, LMC, SFR, ABR