Roy, Home Buyer in Dublin, CA

Given 3 choices, Dublin, Danville and San Ramon. For most bang for the buck rt now where would you recommend

Asked by Roy, Dublin, CA Fri Aug 15, 2008

Asked by
Roy
Home Buyer
in Fremont, CA

to buy? i'm a little wary of San Ramon because of high mello roo.

We have 2 young kids 1 pre-K and 1 going to 1st grade nxt year.

We both work in Emeryville.

Answers

17
Roy, wait a few years. Houses will be cheaper. Currently renting is cheaper.
Hey Roy, I'd recommend East Dublin. It'll definately strech your buck further.
But like Firenze mentioned below the current situation with the only one high school in Dublin concerns me a little. I too hope that by the time I'll need it there will be a new high school built. Now it's quite a drive to and from if you buy in Dublin Ranch and the school itself is getting overcroweded. Academically it's still below state targeted API 800 (2006-2007 school year). Overall rating is 9 out of 10 though.
San Ramon definitely has better school all around. Even if you sell one day, San Ramon will be a better investment. Dublin has lots of selection and better floor plans when we looked before.
more bang for your buck is San RAmon for the all around great investment including location, lot size, and great schools,
Dublin's also a great long term investment. Newsweek is listing Dublin High as one of America's top schools.
Roy - I'd suggest Dublin Ranch. I have a recent research from MLS on Dublin Ranch Golf Club commununity home price, read here, http://myrealinsight.com/2009/10/price-drops-at-dublin-ranch… revealing home price dropping about 34% from 2005. BART will get you to work. Both John Green and Fallon have excellent 10 elem and middle school. There will be a new Tassajara high school established very soon. Good luck and feel free to contact me for more info.

-Kent
Web Reference: http://MyRealInsight.com
You get the most "bank for your buck" in Dublin, followed by San Ramon (not Windermere) and then Danville. All three areas are wonderful family communities, Now is a great time to be a buyer in these areas!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 1, 2009
Dublin has the lowest prices, and therefore the most bang for your buck. Prices in San Ramon are not much higher, and their schools are more highly regarded. Danville is more expensive than both Dublin and San Ramon. So in terms of VALUE, one could argue that San Ramon is a better value because you get a more highly regarded school system for close to the same price level.

Regarding "mello roos", the only area with significant tax assessments is Windemere.

Here are some links for information on each community

http://www.680homes.com/san_ramon/

http://www.680homes.com/dublin/

http://www.680homes.com/danville/

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Doug
Web Reference: http://www.680homes.com
do not buy dublin, there is only one high school over there. Besides if you live in east dublin,you have to drive 30 minutes to send the kids to school. And look at craglist, so many condos and houses for rent in dublin right now, i do not think it will do any good to dublin home buyers
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 1, 2008
Dublin Ranch! Look at whats coming from a development side, Promenade, Grafton Station, Grafton Plaza... and location is better with 580/680 and BART.
Web Reference: http://www.MoxleyTeam.com
Danville is the best neighborhood, but its homes are very expensive. If you have children, then pay a little more and live in San Ramon. San Ramon has better schools and is a nice place to live. Dublin has some inexpensive housing values, but when prices bounce back, families will pay more to live in San Ramon.
DUSD has released the scores for 2008. Thanks to Dougherty Elementary, Green Elementary, and Fallon Middle School, the combined API for the district is 840 this year. Dublin High School's score remains disappointing and is still below 800.
Roy,

You have already received some good answers. I also wanted to validate and provide you my answer. Whether Danville, San Ramon or Dublin, you cannot go wrong as all those communities are great, however in my opinion, the location of your choice is clearly Dublin because of the following reasons:

1) Schools: I can tell by your question that you obviously care about the school system. East Dublin Elementary and Middle schools are excellent schools. Dublin High School is not as high ranking as San Ramon and Dublin High Schools, however this should not be a great concern to you with your young children
2) Commute Location: Dublin would be the best commute location to Emeryville with special benefit if you are able to ride BART to work
3) Price: Dublin house prices are generally lower than San Ramon and Danville. San Ramon Windermere would be comparable, however you would not the high 1.4% to 1.7% property tax basis as you would in Windermere/Gayle Ranch communities in San Ramon. Average property tax basis in Dublin is 1.20% to 1.25%

Hope this answered your question. Let us know what community you finally decide on.

Happy Home Hunting!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
Could someone give a update on 2008 test score?
Hi Roy,
As a East Dublin resident, I am going to say that East Dublin definitely meets your requirement of "most bang for the buck," especially given your kids are well under the high school age. If your kids were older, I cannot in good conscience recommend Dublin, since our high school does have the reputation of being the worst in the Tri-Valley; however, I am confident by the time your kids are close to high school age, we will have a new high school in East Dublin.

I just checked out Braddock & Logan's new single family homes over in Positano at Fallon Village. There will be about 75 homes in the Cantara community, and there will ultimately 3000 single family homes in the exciting Fallon Village project. The models at the Cantara community look really nice. The Around Dublin blog just posted something on that new project. Please check it out when you get the chance. Good luck.
Hi Roy!

Great question. I love the Dublin Ranch area for commuting. The proximity to 580/680 and BART is awesome. The local schools are highly regarded, but new, so they don't have an API posted yet.

San Ramon is more affordable than Danville. If you will go to http://www.VickieSellsHomes.com you will discover real estate market reports for these cities and for different developments within.

There's only one area of San Ramon with that high Mello Roos (Windemere. Although not all of Windemere has the high MR. The oldest section does not have the same rate). Gale Ranch is adjacent, also newer homes with no MR.

If you are shopping for a buyer's agent, I'd love to hear from you.

Kindest Regards,
Vickie Nagy (925) 407-7987
vickie@BestTriValleyHomes.com
Roy:

You can't go wrong with your choices. All three cities have wonderful qualities. I personally live in Livermore but if I had to relocate I'd put both San Ramon and Danville at the top of my list.

I focus my real estate business on Livermore, Pleasanton and Fremont - but for straight talk on Danville and San Ramon go to the expert: Cindi Hagley - google her name and see what you find.

Good Luck and happy home shopping