Home Buying in Encino>Question Details

Ebe, Home Buyer in Encino, CA

Geological issues with home in the Encino Hills

Asked by Ebe, Encino, CA Mon Aug 17, 2009

I am buying a home near Hayvenhurst Dr in Encino (91436 zip code). Has their been any geological issues with the homes or soil built in the 50's around that area ?

Answers

5
There is no straight forward answer, anywhere in the hills from one house to another the geology is different, for example in the 1994 earthquake on a street in Encino Hills homes on one side of the street were not badly damaged while homes across the street sustained heavier damage due to the underlying geology, its very individual, Building and safety has general statistics on areas, also you will need a geologist to determine exactly what is under your soil, other than that a visual inspection by a qualified home inspector can also turn up evidence of land or foundation shifting.
If you are concerned specifically about geological issues, I would bring that up to your home inspector during the home inspection. He or she may recommend a professional geological inspection. If you need a home inspection, or have already had a home inspection but would like to have coordinate an inspection with a geologist, call our central booking office "InspectionLink" at (818) 951-7467

If you prefer to coordinate a geological inspection on your own, here are a few names of geologists which you can call:

Dale Glenn
(818) 886-2766
(818) 416-4648 Cell
dale@glenngeo.com
Certified Engineer Geologist #1238

Vince Carnegie
(818) 500-9533
http://Geosys1.com
geosys@pacbell.net
CA License # CEG 1608

John A. LaRocca
Home Inspector
I recall more damage to homes in the flat areas after the 1994 earthquake. Extra care and more restrictive construction is required in the hills. Still, there are areas with historic landslides in and adjacent to houses in 91436. You make get some free public information from the Van Nuys building department. The most recent defects I have called out in this area is drainage and I subsequently referred my clients to a geologist or a geotechnical engineer.
Hi Ebe,

Good luck with your purchase. I would recommend getting a geological inspection of the property and subsequent report as part of the inspection process. This will provide you with a detailed analysis of the soil under the property, as well as provide you with information on recent geological history of the surrounding area. It would definitely be in your best interest to do as a buyer. Hope this helps.

Have a nice evening...

John Barry
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Sherman Oaks, CA
Email: john.barry@coldwellbanker.com
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RealtorJB
Twitter: http://twitter.com/RealtorJB
Hi Ebe,

If you are south of the blvd in the hills you should absolutely do a geological survey, if you are in the flats, then you might want to see what your general inspector recommends. The inspector may see signs of structural or geological issues, or may not. I live in the area, in the flats, and haven't seen many issues, aside from mostly chimney's having problems after the 1994 earthquake. But your inspector will be able to guide you much better, as well as your realtor. Best of luck to you.

Jodie