Jeanne Thomas, Home Buyer in Charlotte, NC

General Charlotte, NC information

Asked by Jeanne Thomas, Charlotte, NC Mon Feb 25, 2013

I am looking to move to Charlotte. I am in a wheelchair and have small dogs. Money is an issue. Is there handicapped transportation (for a reasonable cost) in Charlotte? Is it a dog friendly city? I know realtors can't suggest neighborhoods, but can you suggest general areas that are lower cost? I will look up stats, I have no problem with that.

Answers

3
Good evening, Jeanne:
I would suggest that you talk with a Realtor who listens to your needs and after understanding your finances and specific criteria, will recommend a home and areas that might work for you that are close to a regularly scheduled bus stop. Then you can visit homes that meet your needs and fit your loan; find the best place possible. There are also resources to allow for modifications for accessibility as needed. If you appreciate an answer, please give thumbs up. For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Charlotte is definitely a dog friendly city! I have two dogs myself. We have a number of dog parks here. Charlotteans love their dogs and you will see folks hanging out with their dogs all over.

As far as transportation goes, check out the Charlotte Area Transit (CATS) link http://www.disability-rights.org/Cats/STS.htm. CATS works closely with the community to provide public transportation to all citizens, including those, like yourself, with special needs. Hopefully, this link will be helpful to you.

As far as the cost of living here in Charlotte, you are correct that Realtors cannot stear you to particular neighborhoods. Generally speaking though, you will find that the neighborhoods closest to uptown will be the most expensive and South Charlotte tends to be more expense than North Charlotte. With everything though, there are exceptions to every rule!

Best of luck with your move; I wish you all the best!

Kathleen Turner, ABR, CRS, ePro
KathleenTurnerRealty@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2013
I have had several clients over the years with disabilities. One of my builder clients just finished a renovation on a home in South Charlotte to make it completely accessible to it's owner. As for "money is an issue" -- we can discuss your options if you would like to call me. I helped a married couple who were both on disability to purchase a townhome near Matthews. We made sure it was easily accessible to transportation, medical / doctors offices, and shopping.

East Charlotte is lower cost and has some nicer neighborhoods. Also parts of South Charlotte and University. It depends on what other features you will want in the areas you will consider. And what type of home you are wanting: a detached home, a townhome/condo, or an apartment.