Home Buying in 22191>Question Details

Clifton2000, Home Buyer in 22191

Gave a home bulder an earnest check and later cancelled the check. They have not order any building permits. Are they entitled to the payment.?

Asked by Clifton2000, 22191 Wed Sep 28, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


This is why new home buyers should walk into a model home with a Realtor to represent their interests. Builder contracts do not favor the purchaser and most folks signing them do not understand the complexities of contracts on homes to-be-built. But the statute for construction fraud in Virginia requires the contractor to begin performance on the service agreement to avoid prosecution. If your check had been deposited and work was never done the builder would have a legal problem. In this case money never changed hands, there was no delivery of a home on a secured deposit so there is no entitlement to funds by the builder. If the permits were not obtained the contract could not require you to forfeit a deposit because it would be in conflict with Virginia criminal code(s).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 13, 2012
Much will depend on the terms of the contract you signed. Was a delivery date of the home defined in the contract? Are they in breach of contract? You may want to speak with a Real Estate Attorney in the area, for further guidance.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 12, 2012
It depends if you were under contract, if you wer eunder contract and just canceled teh check you are in the wrong. you would need to get a signed release first. If you were not under contract yet, if the agreements had not been signed then maybe you are all set. You may need to seek a lawyers advice as to the legal raminfications of this.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 28, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer