jsree, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

Gale ranch area new independent home Vs 7 years old town home in Windemere area - Please advise

Asked by jsree, San Ramon, CA Thu Jan 30, 2014

Gale ranch area: New independent home, 1,596 sq. ft. 3 beds, 2.5 baths, HOA 108 is 700k.

Windemere area: 7 Years old town home, 2100 sq ft, 2.5 baths, HOA 225 with upgrades is 675k. (appliances refrigerator, Microwave, washer/drier and granite kitchen and blinds are included).

Answers

7
It all depends on your needs and ability to qualify and pay monthly payments. Gale Ranch area has approximately 1.4%property tax rate vs Windemere area that has approximately 1.7% property tax rate. In your example lets see the numbers:
1. The difference in price of $25,000, assuming 4.5% rate leads to the extra monthly payment of about
$127
2. The difference in HOA dues is $117
3. Combining 1 and 2 together gives us only $10 difference in monthly payments between 2 properties
but after looking at property taxes the picture changes
4. Due to tax rates the monthly property tax for the town home in Windemere will be about $140/month higher than single family home in Gale Ranch
Therefore monthly payments for the town home in Windemere will be about $150 higher.
But considering that it is over 500 sq ft larger than the Gale Ranch home, only you can decide what is more important for your family.
Both communities are very nice with good schools. If you do not need more space and 1,596 sq ft is enough for your family, I would recommend the single family home, they may appreciate better over time , but it is a very personal opinion.
Please let me know if I can answer any other questions. Helen 925-997-1994
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 30, 2014
Personally, I would choose the single family home. I am curious as to where you are finding a new home in San Ramon for $700,000? Your taxes are also going to be a bit higher in Windemere due to mello-roos.

I also need to point out that I am biased. I live in Gale Ranch and I love the larger lots, the more mature tree lined streets, and the lower taxes.

What appeals to you most? Everything is a trade-off.

Be sure to use a Realtor to negotiate your home with the builder if you choose new construction.

Cindi Hagley
Realtor/Broker
The Hagley Group
http://www.thehagleygroup.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 30, 2014
Cindi Hagley, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!! This helps me a lot to make a decision!!!
email me or give me a call if you need any further assistance
Flag Fri Jan 31, 2014
In Windemere you should also factor in the Mello Roos Tax which is about 1.7%. While you are getting more house for the dollar, your property tax will also be higher due to the Mello Roos.

What you should be asking yourself is do you need 2100sqft, or would 1596 be sufficient.
Advise about what? Are you looking to purchase? Do you have a specific property in mind with specific questions?

Alex Greer Loan Officer NMLS #1056079 http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com 408-352-5147 AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
Good Evening,

Property Tax is much higher in Windemere than in Gale Ranch.

You need to look at what works best for you and your family and make a list. Do you need to purchase options in the new home. If you do then you get to pick what you like and not what someone else has choosen.Time frames of moving. Do you have to wait for the new construction where as you can move right in. Are you the only buyer for the new construction verses multiple offers on the older home.

Please call me if you have any further questions. I am a local Realtor in the Tri-Valley.

JoAnn Wheeler 925 699-3337 or
joann@joannwheeler.com

My name is Rick Lane and I am a Real Estate Broker and home owner in The Bridges in Gale Ranch.

Please keep the following in mind when you think about the best home for you.
The new home will have everything new (heating and cooling systems, roof, paint, electrical and pluming) and at least a one year warranty. The new house will have the latest design and style.

On the other hand,
The seven year old house will usually have some upgrades that you would have to pay for. The downside maybe that most items (heating and cooling systems, roof, paint, electrical and pluming) are seven years old and their life expectancy may be near the end.

Who built the home makes a big difference as Shapell Homes have a very loyal following because of their design, service and quality in my opinion.

The Windemere/Gale Ranch schools are excellent which makes a big difference when it comes to resales.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss the situation.

Rick Lane, JD
925-324-8172
J. Rockcliff Realtors