Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

David, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Furnace is inside of the master bedroom. Is this a problem?

Asked by David, Chicago, IL Sun Aug 17, 2008

I am interested in a new house and price is between $750k - $800k. The furnace is inside of the master bedroom. I am worry about the noise of the furnace as well as the resale value of the house since many people might have the same concern as I do. Do you think this would be a problem or not? If yes, if there is any resolution of it? Thanks for your advices.

Answers

3
Building code prohibits a furnace from being located in a bedroom or bathroom or in a closet that opens into a bedroom or bathroom because they can suck all of the air out of the room (for combustion), creating a carbon monoxide hazard. The exceptions to this are electric (i.e. not gas-fired) and high-efficiency furnaces that have a pipe to bring combustion air in from the exterior of the home. -Inspector Mike Savage
I agree with Greg, it might not be a problem although personally, I think having a gas furnace (central forced air system) in the MBR is troublesome due to noise, smell, pests and safety. It would cost about 10-50k to move the furnace and there is no guarantee other problems would not pop up as a result of the move such as dead zones, poor air flow, etc. The builder must have had a really good reason to put the furnace in the MBR, it's not exactly the first choice. I would keep looking but that is just me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 18, 2008
It's not unusual to have furnaces near bedrooms of homes with dual zoned units for 1st & 2nd floors. A furnace needs fresh air circulation to keep the flame going. Many modern units receive fresh air from outside the home permiting the furnace room to be sealed up tightly. If' that's the case here, then crank up the furnace and see what you think. Then you'll know whether it's just the location that's really bothering you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 18, 2008