Michelle R., Home Buyer in 48021

Furnace in a crawl space?

Asked by Michelle R., 48021 Fri Sep 14, 2012

Is this something normal? I have an accepted offer on a home in Warren, MI 48089. I was not able to attend the inspection and reviewed the report summary. The furnance is a 2006 model however it is in the crawl space. Is this a big problem to deal with?

Answers

4
Having a furnace is semi common. The only problem would be if water gets in the crawl space. You also have to take into consideration the changing of the filters which should be done every couple of month. Other than that it shouldn't be an issue.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 14, 2012
I have seen furnaces in some pretty odd places. I grew up in a house where the furance was in the crawl space. The house was built in the early 1900's and originally had a wood burning stove to heat the house. When the house was updated to include the modern furnace, there was no good place to put the furance so it was put in the crawl space. It was a very dirty job to service it but contractors still did.

I have also shown houses to some of my clients that have had the furnace in crawl spaces. And I have also seen furances installed in the ceiling.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 14, 2012
The report should state if this is something you should be concerned about. Call the home inspector and get more information to address your concern.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 14, 2012
I have seen furnaces in the crawl & also in the attic. You really should talk to your home inspector about any questions you have about the inspection. I do advise that all my buyer clients be present during the home inspection. They are a wealth of knowledge about the home & future maintenance you may need to do.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012