Tito, Home Buyer in Bronx, NY

From NYC first time buyer looking in the dingmans ferry area. Very concerned about the commute to and from

Asked by Tito, Bronx, NY Fri Oct 3, 2008

the city. Anyone have first hand knowledge about the drive during rush hour? Have seen many new homes around 200k in this area listed for over 2-3 months what are the trends in this area. Looking for a new ranch with an in law unit.

Answers

9
Most people think PA is a great deal,But the fact is New Jersey homes are the same price.You pay a little higher taxes.At 4 dollars a gallon of gas and 3 to 4 hours in a car is a lot of time and money over the years.We have nice homes under 200 with in ground pool. visit http://www.realtyexecutivesnj.com or e mail me at davidthoenig@realtyexecutives.com and i will send some over
I myself was a commuter back and forth to Queens, NY. There can be at certain times some heavy traffic in the am between 6 to 9 and in the pm between 4:30 to 6:30, don't get me wrong there have been times in bad weather where you might sit longer but from my opinion the quality of serenity has to make some sacrifice. I would be more than happy to talk to you in person and answer any questions you have about traveling to and from as well as assisting you with your relocation process. You can contact me through my email at first to set up a time we chat on the phone. EMAIL: arthurcohan@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thx for reponding Keith. I bought a home in E. Stroudsburg last may but we have had to keep the apt in the city. Just waiting for my wife to find suitable employment in PA before we give up the apt. However, when she does find a job I still may have to keep the apt in the city for another year or two untill I can afford to work in PA. Thank God we got a great deal on the home 117k for 4br 2bath bi-level ranch built in 2000 on 1/2 acre. Now If we can only find comparable emplyment in PA that would b great! But we understand it probably aint gonna happen. So we trade a better quality of life for a draining commute. Seems fair to me!
God Bless the USA!
Tito, I noticed your question, and indeed it is quite a long commute to NYC in the rush hour, and there is no real convenient railroad. There is a direct bus from Lords Valley near Rt 84 and in town Milford. I honestly feel, having commuted to NYC from Sussex County NJ, that here in Dingmans is probably too far for a daily commute. I do have clients who keep an apartment in the City, and keep their families out here, and quite a few retired persons (there is no PA income tax on pensions; pls check with an accountant). I have also sold homes to several musicians, as their trips to NYC don't happen during the rush hours.
Even so, there are some great homes and prices here, with low taxes and insurance. If you would like me to send you a few listings, please contact me at kharris@c21hull.com
Keith Harris
'CENTURY 21 ROY B. HULL
My dad, husband, and brothers take the commute daily. It is my understanding from them that if you don't leave the city by 2:30pm you could expect to take at least 2 1/2- 3 hours to get home. They leave the house at 4:30am to get into the city and say it is fine at that time. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to 2 to get in. If you leave much later than that you could expect significant delays. I think if you are not leaving the city by 2:30 it is best to wait until after 6ish.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 20, 2009
Hi Tito,
our friends or rela
Was wondering if you were still interested or if you have found a home. I could explain the commute and traffic the pros and cons. As many have found out the pros out way the cons there are currently many nice available homes that may suit your needs. Give me a call if you or any of your friends or relatives would like more information. O e-mail me @ homehelp@ptd.net

Thanx,
Brian
It's not a short commute at all, but many people in the area do make the trek. I personally would not try this commute on a daily basis unless you like having 4 to 6 hours of travel in your day. :(

Some people take the train from Port Jervis (or even Dover NJ) that at least allows them to sleep on the way to and from the city....

It would be ideal if you can work from home (telecommute) most of the time and only need to go into the city occasionally.
dont be fooled by builders and sellers that claim easy commute...its not...

but there are many other reasons to consider this beautiful area...do your homework!!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 12, 2008
I can be of assistance to help you find the right fit !! May oppurtunites are available. Please call Cynthia 610 681 8247 @ Significa Realty