Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

Susie, Home Buyer in 80528

Free access to complete and detailed MLS listings on your website (IDX or VOW) ?

Asked by Susie, 80528 Tue Oct 20, 2009

I am reading that in most areas, consumers can access MLS listings (available through broker websites, and/or through a single MLS website sponsored by the MLS) and that many MLS systems and brokers allow full access to detailed listings without or with registration. In some areas, brokers are allowed to show complete listings to consumers who register with that broker, or who work with a real estate agent who can give them a special login that provides access to full listings, known as "VOW" - for Virtual Office Website. This system was introduced since many agents felt that since they could provide full MLS listings to consumers who visit them in their office, they should be allowed to show the same when the consumer visits their website (their "virtual office"). Where VOW is allowed, consumers can see complete listings, and are not limited by the IDX rules. I do not know if VOW is allowed (or not) in Portland. Does any of you provide complete and detailed access to MLS?

Answers

5
IDX and VOW are both available in the Portland area.

IDX search refers to a a tightly defined, limited set of fields, that consumers can access with or without registration.

Here is one example: http://repdx.com/home-search/

VOW or virtual office sites require registration, and offer a more comprehensive set of data beyond simple IDX searches.

Here is a VOW example: http://repdx.com/daily-listings/
(registration required, per MLS rules)
Web Reference: http://www.repdx.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 20, 2009
Thanks for the answers. I have a hard time understanding why brokers believe that it helps them to provide only very limited amount of information. An educated buyer will do part of the work that the broker would do... Just because the broker provides more info that doesn't eliminate the broker, it would "empower" the buyers to save time for brokers... Why do I have to waste my time and your time by looking up partial info, then calling for details, etc.? Who benefits from that? I will not select someone to work with because they have a website with very limited information... But maybe that's just me, other buyers might be very happy with no information or partial info....
Susie, what I think you are asking is why do some sites offer more information than others? This is the choice of the broker. Our company at RE/MAX offers all the information so if my buyer finds some other informaiton on another companies website they give me the ml listing number and I resend it with the complete information. We will be getting in 2 weeks all the listing foreclosures free in the Portland area the same as get when you would pay for them at Realty Trac. If your filter to tight you get nothing as results since agents leave out schools or names of neighborhoods or even list homes with the wrong addresses, it is better to be general and then go down instead of going the other way.
Good Luck,
Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group
503-319-9035
I would contact IDX broker out of Eugene - they work with the RMLS and do a great job.... tell Chad or Jeff I sent you to them.
Web Reference: http://idxbroker.com/
Susie,

Through the MLS in Atlanta, we have the ability to set-up what is called Client Gateway. This is essentially a website for the Buyer (or Seller) to look at properties in the MLS that the Agent sets up to meet certain search criteria. It is an AWESOME tool. Once set-up, the MLS automatically sends them updates to their Gateway like new listed property, property status updates, etc. They don't get every single detail found in the MLS; however, it gives them most everthing they need to see. I would speak to a local Agent and ask if their MLS has something like this. Good luck!