Home Buying in Erie County>Question Details

Partyof4, Other/Just Looking in 60502

Foundation issues/sinking houses in Amherst and Williamsville???

Asked by Partyof4, 60502 Sun Dec 21, 2008

We are considering purchasing a home in the North Towns, but we have heard that parts of Amherst and Williamsville have a reputation for foundation issues. We would like to avoid these areas (even though we know that not all the homes are affected) simply to facilitate resale in the future. Some have told us to avoid everything north of Maple. Others have said only look at newer that 2002. Which are the specific areas to avoid? Are there parts of north Amherst that are okay or is it all painted with the same brush?

Answers

3
Partyof4, IMHO you would most likely be better off contacting a Building inspector (county/city) they don't charge for general info and get their opinion based on the inspections they have done. I have done this many times and never been turned away. BTW, for a free lunch they will tell you pretty much everything.

Good luck, Dunes
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 21, 2008
Not every house is affected, and some have been repaired. Anyone who would say "everything north of Maple" is a generalist of the worst kind. Use a knowledgable agent who knows the area.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 26, 2008
Re: foundation issues: I just paid 300.00 for a private home inspection but had I known the Town of Amherst would be so helpful, I would have gone there first. They told me how many homes in the neighborhood I was interested in had reported foundation issues, their house numbers and any repairs that had been made based on building permits issued. I will probably walk away from this deal. I have heard anything north of Main is questionable, however, one house could have serious issues and the one next door could be unaffected. Also, more stringent guidelines have gone into effect since 2000 something and foundations now have to have steel reinforcements.