Home Buying in Jamaica>Question Details

Gueorgui Ali…, Both Buyer and Seller in Queens, NY

Found potential good deal as investment, but house doesn't have Certificate of Ocupation. It's new construction. How to handle it? I would

Asked by Gueorgui Aliev, Queens, NY Thu May 20, 2010

like to buy

Sometimes it takes the builder time to get the CFO as the work is completed in stages. Finance can't be obtained until the CFO is ready. You can write it into your contract if you have concerns about it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2012
you can go to the building department and have a look at the blue print or contact an architect to find out the legalitie of the area and what will it cost going about obtaining the co
Hi Gueorgui,

Anna is correct. You need to find out why there is no c/o. If this is new construction then the builder is responsible for completing the house, inspections and final c/o. Is this a foreclosure by any chance?
You have not provided enough information to give you a definitive answer. Contact me off line and we can talk. I work in Nassau and Queens Counties.

Allen Bauman
Century21 Yve R. E.
Licensed R. E. Agent
NYS Certified Residential Appraiser
If you are purchasing with a mortgage, the lender may not allow you to close until the c/o is in place or an escrow agreement is reached--if paying cash, the c/o becomes your responsibility--visit with the Department of Buildings beforehand and see exactly what is needed in order to acquire a c/o. See link for DOB