HomeBuyer, Home Buyer in 07410

Found a roof replacement is required after closing. Sellers' roofer certified it for 3 to 5 years. Do I have a option to go after this roofer?

Asked by HomeBuyer, 07410 Fri Aug 12, 2011

During inspection, my home inspector suggested me that it is an old roof and you should ask sellers to give you a roof certification. The sellers told me that they contacted a roofer and made repairs worth about $1000.00. The roofer also gave a certificate that the roof is good for at least 3 to 5 years after these repairs and I have a copy of that letter from the roofer.

Now, about 2 weeks past my closing, I find my roof started leaking. I get estimates by 2 different roofing companies and they tell me I need a new roof as the existing roof wont last the upcoming winter.

Do I have any options here to go after the roofer who certified it? What are chances of success if I go after the roofer.

Answers

6
<< Now that these repairs are completed, we feel the roof has a life expectancy of 5-7 years before complete roof replacement will be needed. >>

Sorry... that doesn't sound like a "certification"... just sounds like some roofers vague opinion and there doesn't seem to be any warranty included in that. Nowhere does it say "if the roof doesn't last 5-7 years... we'll repair it... blah, blah, blah".

Sounds like you're stuck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 13, 2011
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Did the roofer that provided the "certification" certify the entire roof or his work only. It may be good to go through your documentation (paying close attention to the "fine print") to determine exactly exactly what your options are.

We would agree with John, that your first order of business should be to bring the roofer back to stop the leaking and find out what he plans to do to correct the problem.

Unfortunately, the standard response seems to apply....your best position may be supported by seeking some legal advice.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 12, 2011
I have tried to contact the roofing company but it always goes on voice message. I have also left vm to get back to me.
The certificate that was provided to me says below:

Name of roofing company,
Address,
Phone number.

Addressed to Previous home owner,
Address,
Phone number.

As per your request we have done an intensive inspection of the roof at (Home Address).

We have come up with few minor repairs that needed to be done. Flashed chimneys, replaced pipe boots and replaced few missing shingles.

Now that these repairs are completed, we feel the roof has a life expectancy of 5-7 years before complete roof replacement will be needed.

Name,
Signature of the roofer.
A roof at the end of its life, just like an HVAC that is 15 years old is in need of replacement. Yes, that HVAC can go another 10 years, that old battery might get another year, and the same for that roof, you inspector advised, is suspect and in need of replacement.
You tried to avoid what you know you needed to do and you got nicked. Replace the roof and stop finding someone else to blame for your mistake.
You'd have to read the certification and see what it says (why is the last resort always to read the document in question?)... it would seem that if he's 'certifying' that the roof will last 3-5 years, and it fails in the first month... that he should be on the hook for any repairs.

But all your answers will be in that certification. I doubt, very seriously, that his 'certification' includes paying for some other roofer, to replace the roof.

I would guess that he was 'certifying' his REPAIRS for 3-5 years... whaddya bet?
Homebuyer,

I would contact the roofer that gave the certification and made the repairs and have them come and take a look at the situation and discuss your options.

I have found that in todays market and world.. almost everyone feels that new a new ___________ should be installed. I would call the previous roofer, but lose the "go after" portion of the conversation and see what they have to say since you have the certification from them.

Let us kinow how it goes!