A.J., Home Buyer in Maryland

For sale in Argyle Park/Silver Spring

Asked by A.J., Maryland Fri Apr 25, 2008

Does anyone know why so many houses are for sale in this neighborhood (off Forest Glen, near Sligo Creek Park)?
The purple line isn't supposed to go through there, but it seems like everyone is selling??

Thanks!

Answers

3
Hi A.J.
Areas go through phases. One person sells for what ever reason and then several jump on board. Maybe they were trying to cash in on the Tax credit. Maybe they have been there for a long time and their kids have grown up and moved on. Sometimes there are no real reason but everyone else is. Right now with the interest rates at a low they could also be looking to get a GREAT deal. I know in my own neighborhood it seemed like one house went on the market and then five popped up and then almost every block had two or three on the market. Best of luck in the search for a new home and I hope you can cash in on the GREAT interest rates.
I am actually having an open house at 708 Stirling Ave on Sunday May 2, 2010 from 1-4pm
Stop by if you are in the neighborhood.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 1, 2010
Hi, we live here in Argyle Park. No the Purple Line is safely (and I say this unfortunately as I am a big supporter of LRT transit and would love access to a quick car-less alternative to get to Bethesda) not going anywhere near us. There was some talk about Beltway widening.. but the pushback from the community has pretty much put a squash on that idea with the state (thus, the ICC was pushed through).

There have been some unfortunate circumstances for some of our neighbors (loss of spouse) for example. But If I were to guess - the economy has taken it toll on a lot of us and probably job loss. I think some of these homes were rentals and newbee landlords have decided to get out of the game. Go to a South Four Corner's Citizens Association Meeting for more intel. There is a real estate agent 'Tamara' something I think her name is... I see she has a lot of listings. She might give you some insights.

But the bottom line is we are a thriving and tight knit community. Crime is non existent, locality to everything you want could not be better. There is nothing to read into the for sales except this economy. We are not super rich folks and many homes are either long time (lived there forever) or first time home owners. Feel free to pick my head more if you want. Good luck.