Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Whoozees, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

For investment, is buying a new 2BDR in downtown better (cheaper) or buy an older unit in beverly hills/century city/west hollywood (expensive)?

Asked by Whoozees, Los Angeles, CA Sat Feb 19, 2011

Looking to invest about 5-7 years. Been looking around a lot but just can't seem to decide which area to focus. Downtown has cheaper prices and new units, but the westside is know to have better resale value due to location but more expensive

Probably best work with a real estate consultant AND CPA for short / long term goals

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
As an investor, you should compute which property will have more equity and appreciate at a higher rate. Location is always important, but it doesn't mean that you will yield a higher net return on short term investment.

Hampton & Associates
Real Estate Consulting...
Maurice Hampton, MPA
Direct 310.591.0007 (text avail)
Keller Williams
4644 Admiralty Way
Marina Del Rey, Ca 90292
Web Reference: http://www.GetHampton.com
Downtown smoll room lot of unit cheaper rate, pocust one only down town area many tractiont fast. You can find easy to tanant. The tanant that much complained.
Hi Whoozees,

I think the most important part of your question is where do you prefer to live/invest, are you focusing more on appreciation or rental income and and what price range are you comfortable looking in? Downtown has grown leeps and bounds from several years ago however the areas you mentioned have always been highly desirable. A few other areas I'd consider are Hollywood, Miracle Mile, Beverly Center, Picfair Village and Hancock Park adjacent - all are getting better and better and provide a great rental market or lifestyle if you're planning on living in the property. I know some incredible deals on the market and there are more to come. I'd be happy to go over the advantages/disadvantages of both with you.

Grant Linscott
323.333.6222 cell
It does really come down to personal preference like Richard said... Here is a recent article from the NY Times talking about Downtown LA and what it has to offer. I hope this helps you make a better informed decision. Call me if I can be of any further assistance...
Scott Walker, Realtor

310-893-0101 Office I 310-709-6807 Cell I 310-482-2201 Fax I scottmwalker@gmail.com

Keller Williams Realty I 2701 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 140 I Santa Monica, CA 90405

DRE License #01428946
Older units on the westside and downtown units in downtOwn are not a big difference right now. It will come down to personal preference. There's a 2+2 in Beverly Hills I know of that is listed for $499k. That is the average for a 1400 sq ft loft in Downtown. I know some great deals on both sides of town. Let me know if I can assist.
You may want to consider Hollywood also in your thought process. With a recent $2B plus in redevelopment over the last few years, I believe this will be one of the most desirable areas in Los Angeles over the next several years.

Not sure if you are planning on living in the property or leasing out, but either way I have a great new listing you may like for either purpouse. It is a 2 bed 2 ba 1,332 sq ft condo with amazing views of the city in popular Beachwood Cyn. Asking price is $545,000. The unit below with less views is currently leased for 2,800/mo. The address is 2222 Beachwood Dr and you can find more info and pictures on my website. http://smilayproperties.com. The property will be open tomorrow from 1-4 pm if you'd like to come by.

Best of luck in the hunt

Eric Smilay
West LA Realty
T: 310.600.9172
Web Reference: http://Smilayproperties.com
I believe there are too many variables in your question, and in the answer, to give you a good answer to your question here. What are your goals? Who will live in the unit? Is it a rental? Are you looking for cash flow? What part of each neighborhood are you considering? Beverly Hills is unlike West Hollywood, which are both unlike Century City, and downtown is a whole different animal. Real estate is neighborhood specific.
Don't be lured buy the new vs. old distinction; in 7 years, what was new when you bought it will be resale, and in downtown, more new will most likely be available at that time. Also, building quality of an old BH duplex will stand up against a downtown loft any day.
Consider all of these variables (and more I have not listed) before making a buying decision, especially when buying for investment.
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
REALTOR, 00588885, ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) 818.564.6591
Yes it might be cheaper, but.....remember this Location, Location, Location.
In real estate is better work with location, location, If you need help please call me

Danny 818-317-4698
An interesting question in this market. The downtown condo market has not been tested long term yet. The highest appreciation rates since 1990's are on the westside. At this time it maybe safer to buy into a stable & tested market.Location is a plus.
Give me a call if you need further assistance. I'm an experienced realtor with Keller Williams Realty. Check out my website http://www.karennumme.com This is the perfect time to invest in real estate. Mortgage rates have begun to climb. Don't miss this opportune time.
Web Reference: http://www.karennumme.com
where can you get the better return on your investment? run the numbers
Long term westside. Downtown fluctuates more.