Home Buying in Franklin>Question Details

Nicole M Wis…, Real Estate Pro in Franklin, MA

For active buyers out there - how do view open houses? Are they a convenient thing for you or a sign the seller is getting desperate?

Asked by Nicole M Wisniewski, Franklin, MA Fri Oct 8, 2010

Answers

6
I wish more of the houses I was interested in had had open houses. It was nice to be able to go and see a home without my agent. I could just look and not have to answer his questions or listen to him reread the listing to me. I let him know when I was going as was written in the buyer's agency contract. Of course he offered to set up a showing if I wanted it after.

At the open house the listing agent who actually knew the home was there and could tell me more about it. They knew I had an agent. I always said that right away, but it was nice to have someone show off the home who actually knew what was there and didn't have to read the MLS listing as we walked through.
Wow, it sounds like you might want a new agent. Interview several and look at their credentials. People who know homes, construction, and resale, should be an asset at a showing not a hindrance.
Flag Sun Oct 7, 2012
I believe it is an opportunity for agents to gain potential buyers, and also provides an extra opportunity to capture anyone driving buy, which is why you should try doing them also on an evening from like 4-6pm to catch the rush hour traffic depending on your location of the home.

Angela Dolber
Prudential Prime Properties
508-826-8553
angela@pruprimehomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 9, 2010
One more thing. Several home owners and agents have become aware that open houses can be dangerous. There have been some horror stories of agents being attacked, robbed etc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 24, 2010
Nicole, looks like you were looking for buyer responses, and got us..lol. Open houses are only good if the listing is priced right.. otherwise a complete waste of time.
An agent's job is to sell the property. Open houses are one way to do that, but not the only way. Some agents love to hold open houses, others never hold open houses. Depends on the agent's marketing plan.
I agree with Angela, as well as I believe it helps other agents who are busy get their clients in which in the end is good for your Seller