Home Buying in Berkeley>Question Details

K, Home Buyer in Berkeley, CA

For Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Kensington and Oakland - what are good rates to estimate total prop taxes?

Asked by K, Berkeley, CA Sun Oct 14, 2007

Answers

5
Actually you can go to the Alameda County web site and find out how much property taxes are/were on any house in Alameda county. This has helped me to understand and estimate what property taxes cost in the different area, based on size of house, size of lot, etc. This site is very informational, for it even breaks it down to the city level (e.g. a house in Union City's costs for sewer service, paramedic services, flood benefits, etc).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 17, 2007
Honestly, Property tax = 2% in Berkeley.
The 1% annual for my 1300s/f property is $3321. Voter added cost add 821.06 for Schools, Mello Roos, Buses and Parks = 4142.56. But they never tell you about the non-voter approved taxes $1577.26 = GRAND TOTAL of $5919.82.
So in the real world, double the Berkeley tax to 2%.

6 grand is a wee bit lil higher than 3 grand.
6 grand is also the taxes I pay for a 3000 foot house in the south bay city of Sunnyvale. The base tax rates are computed solely on purchase price and DO NOT CHANGE until some mitigating factor occurs. And HAHA, there is no rent control board for multi-dwellings either. So, big investors are giving Berkeley a miss.
THAT IS A REALITY CHECK and why many folks are no longer living / investing in the East Bay.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012
On the average, you can expect about 1.3 percent..it's higher in Berkeley, roughly 1.6% counting all the special assessments, but right next door in Kensington, an unincorporated town, the rate is about 1.1%. For what you get per dollar of taxes, I'd say Albany at about 1.32% gives property owners the best services for what you pay.
It's hard to give property taxes a percentage estimate because some assesments are a percentage of assessed value and others are a flat cost imposed on all properties. Even within some cities - the neighborhood rates may be different depending on what services are being charged on the property tax bill. It's best to have the seller give you a current property tax bill to see which costs will go up due to a new home value and which are flat and will not change.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2007
Mario Pinedo,…, Real Estate Pro in Beverly Hills, CA
It seems lke Berkeley has the highest property taxes in Northern California, so I always allow them a little extra. I usually estimate property taxes at around 1.2% - 1.4%, but this will not take into account any Mello-Roos areas, or any special taxes for emergency services, etc. This will be a very rough estimate
A title company may be able to help you.
In the disclosure report for any property you are interested in will be a section concerning property taxes, which should include a worksheet to estimate what the new taxes will be, once you make a successful bid. Most Realtors supply a disclosure package, before you make your bid.