Not In A Rush…, Home Buyer in Natick, MA

Follow-up question -- is it worth sending a letter to folks who live on the streets that I am interested in?

Asked by Not In A Rush, Waiting For The Right Neighborhood, Natick, MA Tue Feb 23, 2010

Would it be considered improper or too forward or in the worst case stalkerish?

Answers

9
Theresa Cannizzaro’s answer
Absolutely! I've had buyers that wanted homes in specific neighborhoods where there were no homes on the market. Through our multiple listing service we have access to public records which will give us the addresses for a neighborhood. I have sent letters to those owners telling them about my buyer and asking if they would consider selling. I didn't have great success because they are usually very desirable areas and owners are there for that same reason and therefore don't sell often. If you have a buyers agent ask them to do the work for you. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 23, 2010
I'd love to help you. Feel free to contact me through my Trulia profile.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Earlier today
That is an awesome idea!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
I've worked with clients who wanted a particular street that was close to a commuter rail. I reached out to the home-owners on that street and was able to help the couple find a home there. You might
also try the town records to see who has lived on the street for sometime and send the letter directly
to them. If there is a neighborhood association find out who is the head of it, and contact them. They
just may have heard of someone interested in selling. All it takes is one good contact - good luck! If
I can be of further assistance please reach out to me - Nancy Butterly, Realtor, nancy.butterly@ziprealty.com
Yes, I've done so many time for my clients. It works very well with a professional, knowledgeable and SPECIFIC pitch. It is funny though, even with the above the folks that respond always seem to think I'm pulling their leg, or it's a listing ploy. They can usually figure out within a few minutes of conversation if you're legit or not. When I tell then ( for example ) " Yes, you got that mailing because you have a 4 or more bedroom, 2+ bath, over 2400 sq ft home in XX area " they usually know it's not a form letter.

So yes, used properly it can be an excellent tool in your search if you know exactly what you want.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Even better, have your buyers agent do it on your behalf. The letter should include that your a strong buyer, per-approved and how much you only want this particular neighborhood. I have been a Natick resident for a very long time. Contact me anytime. mindy@prudentialtnc.com
I had success doing this very thing for a buyer client. I had a client buyer who wanted a particular size condo in one specific building. I then narrowed my search to exclude anyone who had bought within the past year. I also excluded condos on the floors that my buyer didn't want.

One key is to make sure your letter doesn't look like a mass mailing letter. Handwritten is good. Tell the owner why you're interested in buying on their street or their neighborhood. If you can find out if the homeowner is upside down on their mortgage, tell them you're prepared to work with whoever holds their mortgage and do a short sale (if that is true). You can get some great deals buying a short sale. Have someone help you who's done it before.
Hi Not In a Rush,

I think it's a great idea. Even better, hire a Realtor to do the work for you. He/she will have the name/s of the owner, send it on letter head which will take away the "stalkerish" feel and more serious.

Hope this helps!

Tim
I don't think there is anything wrong with sending out letters to homeowners. Many Realtors will do the very same thing for clients who really want to live in an area that has no listings. It happens, and who knows you may find somebody that has been thinking about selling but just hasn't yet.
Make sure you know the values for the neighborhood, so if you do get a response you be able to move forward.