Bethlynn, Home Buyer in Massachusetts

Follow up ? abt Pet Friendly rules at Condos/Townhouses

Asked by Bethlynn, Massachusetts Thu Mar 3, 2011

No- one has mentioned cats (indoor cats) - may I get some feed back on rules for cats. Thanks!

Answers

5
Gerard J. Carney’s answer
If you are thinking of buying into a condo or community that has Home owner rules and regulations, then it is time for you to call the Home Owner Association and introduce yourself, then ask about all pet rules, Many of these associations have pet allowances but you have to ask about specific pets. It is not unusual to see that they will accept dogs up to a certain size, or the amount of small pets you may have. Since inside cats rarely bark, the attention is more towards dogs in their wording, but remember ask and be sure because assuming can be wrong and bring fines and pesky warnings!
What you would want to do is have your agent speak to the condo association and find out if the allow pets or not. By talking to the association you maybe able to get a variance from the association to allow a cat. Most places in the area won't allow dogs but will sometimes aloow cats because they don't bark. Let me know if you need any help in the area I know of a few places that will allow cats.

Joel Simes
Realtor Licensed in MA & NH
Real Living Schruender RE
73 Chickering Road
North Andover MA 01845
Cell: 978 420 8410
Hi Beth - As has been mentioned it will depend entirely on the condo associations rules and regulations. If you are searching for property that has been posted in our MLS here in MA (MLSPIN) there is spot to post if pets are allowed and what the restriction might be. In case that field gets omitted it is always best to check with the association for the particular condo and to review the rules and regs for the complex. If it is a local complex to the Andovers let me know and I can tell you their rule on pets.

Mark Gracy
The Gracy Team
Keller Williams Realty - Andover
(978) 984-3107
http://www.findahomeinandover.com
Yes, that is absolutely true. It will depend on the rules of that particular townhouse/condo. Each association is different. If you are interested in a particular home I would be more than happy to find out what the rules are for that particular location. I'm in Massachusetts.

Thank you.
Web Reference: http://www.kimsolio.com
It'll vary, of course. Often condos will have both a numeric limit (for instance, 1 or 2 pets) and some other restriction, such as size (for instance, weighing no more than 25 pounds). In cases like that, both cats and smaller dogs would be permitted. If pets are permitted, there often are some additional limits. Sometimes (applicable to dogs) certain breeds aren't permitted, such as pit bulls. (I'm not debating the merits of such rules, just noting that they exist.) And the rules often will provide that if the pets attack other pets or humans, the condo board has the right to request their removal.

What you have to do is read the condo documents very carefully to see what is and what isn't permitted.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA