Dennis, Home Buyer in 30306

Flood/Wind Damage Insurance

Asked by Dennis, 30306 Tue Nov 1, 2011

Can anyone give me a general idea of cost for flood/wind damage insurance? I want to buy close to the Gulf but am afraid the insurance costs may be prohibitive.

Answers

3
Dennis,

You really need to check on the individual addresses with insurance companies. The price is base on the flood elevation of the property. AE flood zones go from 1-13 feet above sea level. The lowest on a non evacuation area is around $390-425 for flood. If it is an AE waterfront property, especially on the gulf or bay it can be anywhere from $1000 -$7500 up depending on the elevation, home size and construction of the home.

Some areas can require wind insurance even if they are not on the water. There are some areas in Pasco county west of 19 that fall in this categrory even though they are not waterfront communities. These are two different types of insurance.

Here are two insurance companies you can call for quotes:

Houser Insurance: 727-937-4291 ask for Stephanie or Nancy
or
Strategic Insurance Services: 727-329-8678 ask for Ed Ludwig.

They both deal with multiple companies and have been around a long time.

I feel an informed client makes the best decisions regarding their real estate needs. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Pam Cohn
Broker Associate, GRI, SFR, NHS
Real Estate Consulting, Marketing & Sales
Prudential Tropical Realty
2539 Countryside Blvd #3 Clearwater, FL 33761
pcohn@prutropical.com
727-204-7155

http://pamcohn.wordpress.com
I you are purchasing a home, wind insurance will run between $2000 - $4500 per year, depending on the size of the house, how it was constructed and the type of roofing. Flood insurance will run between $1000 - $2500 for the year. Casualty insurance (fire and liability) will run about $2500 for the year.

If you purchase a condo, the insurances, except for contents, are included in the maintenance fees.
Are you buying a house of a condo - it makes a difference since in a condo you'll just have the contents portion and most banks are asking you insure 20% of the appraised value - and it's usually not bad. Of course "it all depends" on value.

With houses if you are in a VE zone the rates are much higher so check. Last week I was showing 10 homes on Clearwater Beach in the $400K-$500K range and the avg home insurance was @4800/yr - this was just my experience and we can help you connect with good insurance people.

Also improvements matter like roof, windows, storm shutters. Anyway if we can help just let us know - now's a great time to buy since prices are down @50% from 2007.