New Yorker, Home Buyer in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn,...

Flood Insurance

Asked by New Yorker, Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NY Tue Jul 30, 2013

I own a single family house in Sheepshead Bay are. I didn't have flood insurance during hurricane sandy & now I would like to get flood insurance. The mail source of water in my house during sandy water through the sewer / back flash. I have heard that water coming through sewer is not considered as flood is that true? I just want to get the flood insurance that will cover my expenses in case of future floods. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Answers

6
Dear New Yorker:

Speak with your insurance carrier as to how much is would cost you to obtain flood insurance. also you can add a rider to your policy to cover you in the event of sewer back-ups.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales/ e-Pro Realtor
Fillmore Real Estate
Office: (718) 252-2000/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 30, 2013
You really should be having a discussion with your insurance agent....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 30, 2013
The Wall St. Journal has an interesting and informative article regarding flood insurance prices;
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732344640457900…
Check your policy to see if you are covered for sewer backup & speak to your insurance company about flood coverage. Good luck.
Here is a flood insurance site aproved by The Better Business Bureau...

http://www.usinsuranceonline.com/home-insurance/policy-types…

Luke Constantino
Commercial/Residential
Keller Williams Real Estate
9120 4th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
Office: (718) 954 8400
Direct: (212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
Flood insurance is a confusing thing to understand. Since I am on the NC Atlantic coast we deal with it here daily and I still am confused by it. You can call FEMA and ask them since that is the best way to get a fairly reliable answer, but it is a govt organization, like the IRS, so it will be frustrating. A local insurance agent familiar with flood insurance is also an option to contact.

We don't have sewers here so that problem is not one we face, but rising water from ocean or rain is considered flood. One question is at what level of the house does the flood insurance start. Be sure to ask your insurance agent, it is not always the bottom ground level.