Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Cruth, Home Buyer in Aitheoir

Fixer-Upper Section of Austin Texas, or nearby cities, or states?

Asked by Cruth, Aitheoir Thu Jun 19, 2008

Does Austin, Texas have any neighborhoods that has a greater concentration of potential fixer-uppers. (Single family homes, duplexes or 2-4 unit buildings.I have experience moving into houses and doing mostly cosmetic renovations, so that I can generate adequate rents. Are there any "undiscovered" neighbors, or can anyone suggest area, in Texas, or Florida, Alabama, or Louisina.? I like area near city centers, and not in suburbs

Answers

5
Dear Cruth,
This will depend on what your price range is for a 'fixer upper. You can get a fixer upper in 10N & 10S for $140-180K. Or you could move a little more central and see a larger return on your money if you invest in 78704. This area will have fixer uppers for $275-$325, but your return is far greater. There are some homes in 78704 over a million dollars. Some homes have large 1/3+acre lots with mature trees. Also this area is 5 minutes or less to downtown. Call me, and give me a price range you want to stay within and I can send you some actual listings. Also if your purchase is under $200K I know a lender that will pay your closing costs. Call me.
Betina Foreman
512-771-6318
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 19, 2008
You should consider Hyde Park, French Place and Riverside as they are very central neighborhoods. These neighborhoods are typically very popular with familes as well as more hip urban singles. Most of the homes in these areas were built between the 1930's and the 1950's. Sometimes you can find one that is untouches and still has the vintage hex tiles and unique lighting that was popular in the 1950's. Please give me a call if I can help you find a new home in Austin.

Betina Foreman, Realtor Austin Texas
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 12, 2008
You just said near city centers - Hyde PArk, East Austin, etc.
Hi Cruth,
I totally agree with areas 10n & 10s being a great ft for your needs.
Although they are not as close in the the city center..homes in Austin West of I35 that feed to the Round Rock ISD are desired by families who lease because of the Schools.
In Round Rock..North East subdivisions are starting to be more desired because of the New Shopping..Hospital & University.
I work often with investors who want to buy lease homes or "flippers" & search daily for the best deals for them.
The south side of Austin most notably areas 10S and 10N would fit your criteria very nicely. The disparity in price between a made-over home and a fixer-upper in the South part of Austin often make it worth doing. Some of the smaller towns to the South are also in need of quality rental opportunities but have a plethora of well priced homes that are in need of "fixing up". Try areas like Kyle and Buda.