Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Brooke A., Home Buyer in Austin, TX

First time homebuyer.. love South Austin, but what are some safe areas of S. Austin with homes around the 110's?? .. are there any developments.?

Asked by Brooke A., Austin, TX Sat Jan 16, 2010

I would like to stay within the 78748, 78749, and the 78739 zipcodes.. and thus far, i have found pretty much nothing in that price range. Someone please help!!

Answers

12
Hi Brooke
I'm a lender who participates in the city of Austin Downpayment assistance program. I'm wondering about you and a shared equity program where the city will put up to $40,000 into your home with you (bringing your loan down to affordable range) and they "co own" with you. Call me 512-431-5223 and let's find out if you qualify.
Jan Hill
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 29, 2010
Hi Brooke,
I am a Real Estate Broker in San Diego and I have a wonderful agent in the Austin area if you need additional information. I refer him as much as I possibly can because he is excellent at working with buyers in the Austin area and I trust the service that he provides. You can search homes for sale in Austin on his website if you just want to start with information. Here is his information and his website...feel free to let him know that he was recommended by Victoria Crown from San Diego.

Ricky Cain
Keller Williams
Cain and Company
http://cainsellsaustin.com/welcome-home.asp
(512) 794-6601 Office
(512) 589-6975 Mobile

Good luck! Victoria Crown
Dear Brooke,
One more thing The Gaberdine is a new development in far south that is all free-standing condos. So they look like houses, but are actually condos. It is about two miles south of Slaughter Lane and just north of 1626 in between Brodie Lane and Manchaca. The prices start at about $150K. They have a lovely home owners park and they take care of all exterior maintenance and landscaping. They are being developed by the same company that is building The Austonian luxury condos downtown.

Betina
Dear Brooke,
Right now there are 13 properties for sale in central/south Austin priced between $80K-$116K. There are 11 condos and two houses with at least two bedrooms and one bathroom. The average property has 908 square feet, and was built in 1982. Typically these properties are on the market for 100 days and list prices average $119.75 per square foot. These homes are all in the following zip codes: 78745, 78748, 78705, 78736. If you wish to have more details on the available properties just let me know, I would be happy to email it to you. Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. I wish you the very best in your home search!

Betina

Betina Foreman -Realtor
Check out the new condos called Gabardine, located down near Shady Hollow. This new development is different, but close to your price point.
Betina said it best...

If you are open to a suggestion on the east side of Austin. The 969 neighborhood has soome cool homes in the $110's that are foreclosures in the Sendero Hills Section. I just sold one to my brother in law.
Dear Brooke,
The median home price in the zip codes you listed is much higher than $110K, so you and your Realtor will need to be dillegant and patient. Your best bet will be a foreclosure or short sale, and fair warning short sales are anything but short. I think Battle Bend, Turtle Creek, Maple Run or Cherry Creek seem like possible neighborhoods. give me a call if I may be of further assistance.
Betina
To get the price down that low in those zip codes, you may want to consider a Foreclosure and/or a Bank/FHA Short Sale property. To get a Bank or HUD/FHA to go down that low in price in those areas; it will likely be a Fixer-upper type property.
Brooke,
The previous answers all hit the "real story" on the head. You really need to interview a few realtors and find one that can work with and for you. If a home in this area comes available, in our office it most likely would be snapped up before it ever hits the "market." Without someone on the inside working for you your chances are slim to none.
Do you know that having an agent represent you costs you nothing? The commissions for the transaction are negotiated up front with the listing agent who works exclusively for and in the intrest of the seller. As agents we then have an agreement to share the commissions negotiated up front. So, the seller pays for the services of both agents but you get to have an agent represent you too.

You commented: Someone please help!! This is how I can help you the most. Find an agent. I am certainly up for having you interview me to see if you think I am the right fit for you.

Best wishes,

Bill Austin ~ 512-709-6343 ~ baustin.realotr@gmail.com
At this point, unfortunately, it will be next to impossible to find anything habitable in those zip codes for your desired price. These zips are "hot" and any homes priced like this will sell before they hit the market or at the very least sell within hours of hitting the market and there will certainly be multiple offers. I know, I just bought a home in 78745 (one zip code north of your preferred areas) this weekend and I had to prepare the offer prior to even looking at the house...it was just that competitive. But this particular house is in very difficult shape and requires lots of rehab dollars. Investors will pay cash for homes in these zip codes so if your purchase requires financing, you'll also be competing with lots of cash buyers which puts you at a disadvantage yet again. it would be best if you could expand out a bit. Feel free to email me direct if you have any questions.

Guy E. Gimenez ABR, CRS, GRI
Broker / Investor
The PowerHouse Group
512-731-5613
guy@phgbrokers.com
Web Reference: http://www.phgbrokers.com
Brooke,

Congratulations on stepping into homeownership. With record low interest rates and the first time homebuyer tax credit, everyone wishes they were a first time homebuyer. With regard to your questions, homes in your price range will mostly likely be very distressed sales and needing a lot of work.

Have you considered a condo? It is a great entry point into the Austin Real Estate market. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss the pros/cons of condo ownership.
Hi Brooke,

I did a search on 78748, 78749 and 78739 and the lowest priced home currently in the Austin area MLS is $135,000. I also searched South, Southwest and Central Austin and found one home under $120,000 in 78745.

I would love to help you find a home! Please give me a call or send me an email and we can get started.

I'm here to help!

Chris Meengs, Realtor
Coldwell Banker United
512-983-5407
cmeengs@cbunited.com