Amy Benson, Home Buyer in Saint Louis County, MO

First time home owner applying to take advantage of tax credits and other grants

Asked by Amy Benson, Saint Louis County, MO Fri Apr 30, 2010

I am a first time home owner (closed April 14th). I have amended my tax to receive the $8000 credit. I thought that Missouri offered a tax credit as well. I learned otherwise from my accountant. Does anyone know the kind of credits or grants is Missouri offering?

Answers

3
I put together a blog post on the Missouri MHDC HOPE tax credit program to make it easier to understand the program and to see if you will be eligible. Check out the link below for more information:
MHDC is allocating $15 million towards the HOPE program. Qualified Missouri families that purchase a home in 2010 are eligible for a HOPE incentive equaling the amount of the 2009 real estate tax bill associated with the property they purchased, up to a maximum of $1,250. Additionally, homebuyers who are approved for the real estate property tax HOPE incentive may also be eligible to receive an additional amount if they bought a qualified, newly-constructed, energy-efficient home or bought an existing home and remodeled or purchased items such as Energy Star® appliances to make the home more energy efficient. The maximum combined total of the HOPE property tax incentive and the HOPE energy-efficiency incentive is $1,750.

Here's a link to the website to see if you qualify.

http://www.mhdc.com/homes/HOPE/index.htm
If any credits exist your tax professional can answer your question--you can also try contacting your local politician(s) office and inquire about the existance, or not, of any available grants .