Jason, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

First time home buyer looking for buyer's agent

Asked by Jason, San Jose, CA Thu Jan 8, 2009

I would like to start seeing what's out there. Budget range is around 500K and would like something in west san jose, sunnyvale, or mountain view.

I am looking for someone who exclusively represents buyers, has extensive work experience, and knows these locations well.

Answers

14
You asked this in January. Did you find your agent? If so we would love to hear how it is going. I listed a home in 95129 for $489,900 and it went pending in 6 days, we had 3 offers and it is pending above your budget. The home was not a short sale or bank owned, and pretty much original 1950's home. If you haven't found your home you may be feeling a bit frustrated.

In addition to the hope of leads, we agents like to hear what the buyers and sellers are thinking and experiencing. Do share.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Jason:
Eventhough it is really hard to find a house around $500K in West San Jose, Mountain view, and Sunnyvale(94087,95086), but you still have chance to catch up some REO deals. The most important thing is be ready to be a buyer. Please get a pre-approved by major bank. I suggest you to try Bank or America because it is
free. Then, you can looking for property really hardly. I am working with my clients till to middle night sometime. We send offers really quick that can make more chance to be a winner. West San Jose 95129 is a good choice. Sunnyvale 94087, and 94086 , you can only tri some twon house or condo with $300 HOA.
94085 and 94089 are cheaper, but massed houses Mountain view, I guess two bed rooms condo might be alright.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 23, 2009
Jason,
check out 4675 Blanco dr, SJ 95129, i have sold properties in that zipcode and can give you references if needed. DO contact me 408-7773823, all the best in your search for a home, this is a good time tobe getting into one.
Be well and safe, regards,
Nina
Jason,

Although I work mostly with buyers, I don't exclusively work with buyers (some of my buyers become sellers). I bought my first home in west san jose (Strawberry Park neighborhood) and lived there for 10 years. I grew up in south Los Altos (and currently live there now) and know the Mountain View and Sunnyvale markets quite well. If you would like to meet to discuss your situation and whether we are a match, shoot me an e-mail. Either which way, I suggest you research each agent you intend to interview first. Check out each agent's web site, blog, trulia profile etc. to get a feel for how they work and to check their work history. I would check the status (and how long they have been licensed) of their real estate license at http://www2.dre.ca.gov/PublicASP/pplinfo.asp. FYI my DRE is 01169028

My info, including a sales history, and blog can be found at my personal real estate web site: http://www.losaltoshomes.com.

Good hunting!
Jason,

You're going to start a feeding frenzy!

You're situation isn't uncommon. People are excited about today's real estate market and feel there is an opportunity to leverage their money. Find the Realtor that you feel most comfortable with both professionally and personally. If your especially tech friendly, or just a control freak like myself, you may want to start poking around online.

I would suggest this AMAZING website but I'm obviously a little bit biased.

It's my own!

http://www.MarioForHomes.com
Jason,
Good for you in wanting to buy a home now, its the right time, interest rates are low, and so are home prices, a rare thing for both to be low, in many years! I would suggest you update your Pre-approval, as many criterias have changed, so what was good a year ago, may have changed now.
I have good lenders, i f you would like more than one opinion.
I would be happy to offer my services to you as a Buyers Realtor. I have a property in 95129 area, know the area well, and also know Sunnyvale and can help you. Contact me, 408-7773823, you can visit my open home on Sat afternoon, and we can talk.
Be well and safe,
Nina Daruwalla
Hello Jason,

Congratulations on your decision to buy your first home. Please make sure you interview a few different agents and talk with their previous clients to learn about their work ethics, communication skills and follow through.
I'd be happy to be considered by you to be your Realtor.

Ali Moein
(408)439-5748
Hi jason,
My name is Allyson, just as a note I think you would be well served by most of the agents you see here who answer questions on Trulia and I believe you would be well represented by any one of them. As for me I work as a buying agent almost exclusively specializing in REO/ Short Sales and in your price range thats where you will find most of properties you might be interested in I also have represented alot of first time home buyers and understand there needs and concerns well.
What you should do is talk to or email a few of the agents who you think you would like to work with, then you can get an idea of who you feel comfortable with and who would represent you and protect your interests the best.
If you you have any addtional questions or would like to contact me to see if we are a good fit, feel free to do so.

Allyson
(408)705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
Hi Jason, that's terrific and good for you! With a 20% downpayment and excellent credit score you should have no trouble purchasing. Additionally, I've had other clients parents' help with downpayment and that is acceptable as long as you have other reserves as well. I recommend going back to your contact at BofA and have them give you a current preapproval letter. Your interest rate now should be much better. Also, ask them for a Good Faith Estimate (GFE) of your closing costs/terms. If it's been more than 4-6 months since you spoke with them, they may have you resubmit a new loan application, all of your financial documentation, etc. If you want a referral for a different lender preapproval, I would be happy to help you with that as well. I work with a very experienced mortgage broker in Los Altos who has closed loans for my other first-timers. Kind regards, - Andrea.
Jason,make sure your Realtor is an ABR (accredited buyer representative) Happy hunting.

Regards;

TJ
Web Reference: http://tjroberts.remax.com
To answer your question, my budget range is based on having spoken to a loan specialist from Bank of America sometime last year. He mentioned that 450K-500K would be reasonable given my salary and desired terms (20% down, 30 years), and credit score of 830. I'm not sure, but I think the interest rates now should be favorable compared to last year, or at least comparable? Also, I have some help from my parents, who said that they would help a little bit if needed.
Hi Jason, how did you come up with your budget range of around $500k? Have you been preapproved with a lender/mortgage broker? I have worked with several first time home buyers, please see some of their comments on my "client testimonials" webpage. Sometimes, first-timers have a certain price range in mind, that is, until they realize how much their actual monthly payment will be. You will need a downpayment and a good credit report in this tough lending market. It is imperative that preapproval be your first step in the homebuying process. You may want to re-think your quest for an agent who represents buyers exclusively. There are very few who do that. In order to understand and conquer the negotiating and transaction process in the best interest of their client, the agent should have experience with both sides of a transaction. Kind regards, - Andrea.
Hi Jason,

I wish you well as you embark on your home purhase. I am not completely familiar with the neighborhoods of Mountain View and Sunnyvale. Therefore, I don't believe I would be the best agent for you. However, I thought I would pass along some things to think about as you begin the process of finding the best agent for you.

Since you are thinking of buying a home or are in the process of buying one, the decision to use an experience buyer's agent is wise. The seller has representation and you should too.

Your Buyer’s Agent should:
• Adherence stictly to the National Association’s Code of Ethics.
• Consult with you to identify key considerations in your home purchases with regard to location, amenities, style and requirements.
• See and present to you all properties that fit your requirements.
• Help you develop a pricing and negotiation strategy for the property you wish to make an offer on based upon recent comparable sales in the area.
• Communicate the offer in person to the selling agent/seller to make the strongest case possible for why the offer is worth accepting.
• Refer you to reputable and qualified home inspectors, pest inspectors, roof inspectors, and mortgage lenders.
• Attend the home inspections when possible and negotiate any additional concessions which may be required based upon the inspection.
• Provide project management oversight through the entire process.
• Attend close of escrow to answer any questions.
• Provide post-closing resource referrals or general assistance.
• Referrals for trades people, insurance companies, utilities, attorneys, etc.

Happy New Year,
April
Web Reference: http://www.AprilTavares.com
Hi Jason,
Congrats on your desire to buy a home in one of the best home buying markets ever!!
I work with both buyers and sellers. The benefit of that is I understand the negotiation process, and have experience on both sides of the transaction. I am also fortunate to work mostly with referrall & repeat clients, and am Quality Service Certified, so you can be assured that I know what I am doing, work hard for my clients, and bring the highest degree of experience & knowledge to the transaction.
I have sold homes in each of the areas that you have mentioned, and what I find the most effective start of the process is to sit down, meet you, and find out what you are looking for, what your goals are, and make sure you are prepared for the entire process. I hate surprises for my clients, and I love surpassing your goals.
Feel free to call me or ping me if you would like to discover the services I offer my buyer clients. My cell phone is 408.712.3432 or LBaker@apr.com.
Happy House Hunting!
Linda Baker
Web Reference: http://LindaBaker.net