Jsantovito, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

First time home buyer in the general Montco area. How long does it take to buy a home as a first time home buyer, and where do we start?

Asked by Jsantovito, Philadelphia, PA Wed Oct 3, 2012

Answers

7
Hello Jsantovito,

You can expect the process to take as short or as long as you need. I typically tell my buyers if they find the home they want it could typically take anywhere from 30-90 to close. That is usually something that is negotiated by the buyers and the sellers. So say you need to be somewhere in 30 days, you would put that in your offer. Also, the turn around time could really depend on the mortgage company that you use for the loan. I have had buyers turn around in 21 days and settle on a property with Mortgage Bank America. I have seen great results in getting this closed quickly if needed.

If you would like I can always send you over my 1st time buyer package that will give you information on buying your first home. I would just need your email address.

Feel free to contact me at http://www.mattdaleyrealestate.com or MDaley@CBPref.com or on my cell phone at 215-990-9132.

Have a great day!

Matt Daley
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 3, 2012
Hello Jsantovito,

It can take from 30 to 90 days on a typical residential sale. It can take 6 months or longer for Short Sales.

The first thing to do as a first time Buyer is to find a Lender for your financing needs.

Please contact me to get started, I know many qualified Mortgage Lenders.

FONDLY,

Alexis Jeffries
Liberty Bell Real Estate Agents
Of Jenkintown
Direct Phone: 215-237-4147
Email: alexisjrealestate@gmail.com
It can take as little as a few hours, or weeks, and yes even months. The first step is to speak to a mortgage broker to get pre qualified. This will give you a great idea about your budget.
Find an agent you trust. Narrow certain area's that are important to you. If you can't decide a solid agent with experience will assist you in this process. Don't settle. This is a big step. It can be stressful and an emotional roller coaster. Once you figure out your budget and your time frame start your search.
I am an experienced agent that area please email me if you would like detailed info about properties and the home buying process. laurie.murphy@prufoxroach.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
The amount of time it takes for you to find a home that you like is the biggest variable in the time it takes to buy a home. If you like the first home you see, then you have a quick process. If you just are not quite finding something you can call home, the process can take longer as you go out and see more homes.
Once you find you "Home", the process to actually getting the keys takes about 45-60 days. Mostly for the underwriting of your new mortgage, but some other things need to be taken care of, such as the home inspection, mortgage application, etc.
The first step is finding an agent that you like to work with and they can get you on the right path. Buyer agency in PA is a FREE service and it provides you with your representation in the deal - someone working for only you. I truly love working with first time home buyers and if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Even if you choose not to work with me, I strongly recommend you working with a buyer agent.
I work with RE/MAX Ready in Conshohocken and I can be reached by email at BILL@BILLHOWLETT.COM or by cell 610-331-3257.
There really is no average timetable for homebuying. As your agent, I can only help you spend your money, not tell you what to buy and for what. When you find the home that satisfies your needs and meets as many of your wants, you'll make an offer and hopefully negotiations go well. However, there are a couple of housekeeping tasks that should be completed before you get to that stage. First, know how much you can spend, i.e. get pre-approved. Understand the loan programs that you qualify for, based on income, credit score, assets, etc., and the expenses associated with them, both at closing and ongoing. Second, enlist the services of a real estate agent, better yet a Realtor, who will act as your buyer's agent, in essence your advocate throughout the entire process from today to closing day. Hope this helps and Good Hunting!
Good afternoon Jsantovito,

First steps:

1. Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

2. Get a referral to a good, local, real estate attorney. Call the attorney, retain the attorney so you have her information handy when you make an offer. Having that information at time of offer helps you demonstrate to the Seller how serious you are, and they will consider your offer with more interest.

3. Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

4. Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

Trevor Curran