Home Buying in Pinole>Question Details

Hazel0982, Renter in Concord, CA

First time buyer, I'm thinking of buying a condo in Pinole or maybe a cheap house.

Asked by Hazel0982, Concord, CA Mon Aug 20, 2012

I'm undecided what I want to buy. If I l buy and live in a condo for a couple years, will I be able to easily turn that into a rental property?

Answers

6
Pinole would be a great start if you can find a "cheap house". We are starting to see multiple offers. There are condo's in Pinole however most of them feel like apartments.
Congratulations on considering the idea of home ownership.
Your first step is probably to get preapproved with a reputable lender so you can find out what you might qualify for. Once you have a preapproval, you can then start considering that possibilities there are in the price range you're approved for.

With regard to selling in a couple years, it could be a possibility but obviously, no one has a crystal ball to project what the market might look like at that time.
Step 1 is to be 100% certain about how much you qualify for to purchase a house versus a condo/townhouse etc. There can be a significant difference because HOA dues vary greatly. After you understand your numbers, then compare what is available at each level and decide which you prefer. HOA rules change so a complex that may allow you to rent now may not in the future due to changes in owner to renter ratios - there are no guarantees unless you purchase a house.
That will depend on the HOA restrictions per development/community. If you have some particular communities in mind please feel free to post them or email me and I can check what restrictions they may have.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me!

Davey Cetina
Buyer’s Specialist | DRE# 01887446

Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate
2095 Rose St, Ste 100 | Berkeley, CA 94709
[t] 510.517.7238 | [f] 510.780.2110
david.cetina@bhghome.com
Hazel: Sometimes condos are more expensive than the 'cheap' houses.
The condos have home owner association dues that cause you to qualify for less purchase price than a 'cheap' house.
You can just as easily turn the home into a rental as the condo.
When given the choice buy the house!! Good luck to you!