Home Buying in Orlando>Question Details

Ben, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

First Time home buyer Orlando area

Asked by Ben, Orlando, FL Wed Jul 18, 2012

Looking for a good Buyers Agent to asssit me in buying my first home. I am not set on any area in the Orlando area. I moved to the area about a year ago and currently renting downtown. I am just looking for a good deal. It does not matter if it is traditional, short sale, ect. I also am going to take my time since I do not need a place to live ASAP. Looking for a good Buyers Agent that will be helpful, and has lots of patience. Thanks for your help in advance to anyone that responds. Lots of you have already been helpfull in your responses to some of the other questions you have answered.

Answers

11
Here's some advice from someone who has been in your shoes, (I'm actually buying my second property now). Here are a few rhetorical devices: 1) Know what you want, 2) Do your research, 3) Have your finances in order, and 4) What are your reasons for wanting to buy?

1) You should already have a strong idea of what you're looking for. LOCATION is extremely important. I try to buy in areas that are in high demand/upscale neighborhoods. On a smaller income this can be tough, but it's not impossible. Many Realtors get bombarded with empty leads - don't waste their time if you aren't ready. There are many sites you can use to view homes, that plus google street view. Some Realtors have multiple clients or work other jobs and will try to put you on the back burner especially if their commission isn't that high. This is not acceptable. Work with an attentive and knowledgeable Realtor. A few of them seem to have left you honest, impressive advice. Use a Realtor who will be blunt with you.

2) A "good deal" shouldn't stop you from performing your due diligence. Do your research. Check with the city for any permit violations, or future plans that might negatively affect property values (i.e. a major highway planned too close to the subdivision, large apartment complex planned too close to residential homes, etc). Alternatively, some future plans are beneficial - SODO, d/t Publix, the Amway & Performing Arts Centers are reasons why I chose to buy my home in the downtown area. Most people want to live closer to amenities. When you find a home, view the neighborhood at various times of the day and talk to the neighbors as they often have a lot of info on the property for sale.

3) How's your credit? A score above 720 can command lower interest rates. Have enough money for a down payment? Conventional= 20% vs FHA =3%. Property taxes, homeowner's insurance, and HOA dues if any are things that need to be considered. There are plenty of mortgage calculators online which would give you an idea of what to expect. Have money set aside for any upgrades or unexpected repairs. Great deals can be found with short sales/foreclosures or homes that need some work.

4) Are you sure you want to buy? Owning is nice, but it's not for everyone. What are your goals? If you don't mind having roomates or owning a property with an apartment suite, they both can bring provide income to lower your mortgage payments, thus freeing up cash for other things. Just be sure to live within your means and plan ahead, and you should be okay.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 22, 2012
Ben,

There are many good buyer agents and unfortunately there are even more that aren't. I would first say that any of the ones that have responded to your question would be a good option because they take their profession seriously. I work with buyers though out central Florida and my process is as follows:

1. Introduction to the different financial options and programs. This includes getting pre-approved with a lender. This isn't so much to know the buyers maximum amount but to really understand what their payments would be and determining their comfort level.

2. Get familiar with the different areas/communities that have properties in the price range that meet your comfort level.

3. Narrow down the area and view the homes that are available that fit your criteria.

4. Decide to make an offer, and I will pull comparable properties so that you will be well informed before making the offer. We then make the offer.

There are many ways that things can go from here based on the response from the seller. Yet by this point you will have a team of professionals working towards your goal (agent, lender, processor, inspectors).

Even if you aren't ready for step 1. just yet, you can still search homes for free and "window shop" until you are ready to speak with an agent. Check out http://www.FreeOrlandoHomeSearch.com

One last key point is when you find the agent that you want to work with; commit to working with that agent by letting them know you are committed and ask that they commit to your needs as well. Believe me the agent will greatly respect this and in return you will be priority client among the many uncommitted buyers.

Jeremy Ide
Magic Key Realty
407-697-5500
http://www.FreeOrlandoHomeSearch.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 18, 2012
Hello Ben,
If you are not already working with an agent I would welcome the opportunity! I would love to meet with you in person, or on the phone so that I can ask you some pertinent questions to help me determine what works best for you. I am a Buyer's Agent with lots of knowledge and experience with first time homebuyers. I have successfully helped many renters just like yourself on the road to homeownership and all the benefits that come with it, and I would be happy to help you also. Feel comfortable to give me a call, or send me a quick email with your personal contact and I will get back to you. Best regards.

Sylvia Paul
Realty Center
sylvia@sylviapaulrocks.com
(407) 864-3139
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 18, 2012
Hi Ben,

Buying a home is one of the most rewarding and stressful things you can do at the same time! So congratulations on deciding to take that step. Choosing the right buyers agent to assist you is key. My detailed first time home buyers package that goes over everything from beginning to end is just one of the tools I use for my buyers. I also have past surveys from several buyers for you to review. It is important to me for future buyers to know what kind of agent I am and sending you past surveys is the best way for you to see that.

When working with a buyers agent it is important that they are knowledgeable. It is also important that you mesh well. Communication is very important throughout the real estate process.Please take a minute to view my profile and endorsements to see if you would be interested in working with my. I look forward to earning your business.

Jennifer Baker
Exit Realty Central
407-334-4856
jenniferbarkerrealestate@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 24, 2013
Best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. Visit http://www.naeba.org for a referral to an Exclusive Buyer's Agent in your area.

I've had a book published on Amazon called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It will teach you how to buy a home without getting ripped off. It'll be the best $6 you've ever spent. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.helpubuyamerica.com
Hi Ben, I can say all the reasons why you should use me but I believe you should check out my profile and my reviews and decide if you would like to contact me to interview me as your agent

http://www.trulia.com/profile/tanyadonohoe/
https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordEastOrlando
https://www.facebook.com/eastorlandorealestate
Hello Ben, you have chosen the right time to purchase a property. I recently posted an article on one of my websites about why now is the right time.

Check out my page there, I have some great articles for you to reaed.

Most important I am patient and I know that is what you are looking for. There is nothing worse than someone trying to push you into something
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MyEastOrlandoAgent/271991939573419

Contact me at (407)615-2863 or email me tanya@MyEastOrlandoagent.com

I would be glad to help you
***Ben***
I have been selling Real Estate in the Orlando (and all outlying areas) for over 30 years. I specialize in meeting the special needs of the first time buyers and have a vast degree of experience, patience and knowledge that is needed in guiding a buyer through the home purchase process. Pls. contact me at your convenience and be prepared to be impressed. I look forward to derving your real estate needs.
Mike

MIKE GINESIN
EXIT REALTY CENTRAL
711 N. Orlando Ave., #302
Maitland, FL 32751
Ofice: 407-539-3948
Fax: 407-647-3948
email: msgmagic@aol.com
Hi Ben,

Would love to help you!

Carol Bauza
Charles Rutenberg Realty
carol@carolshome.com
Hi Ben, My office is located Downtown and I would be happy to go over your purchase with you. Yes, Patience is needed in this market and being the buyer you deserve your Dream Home, if that is what you are looking for. There are a lot of things to discuss when it comes to buying, do you want to move up in a few years, fixer upper, investment property and so on.
I also have been a licensed home improvement contractor for 25 years and am able to see things most other agent can not. So when it comes to walking through on the first visit I can tell what, if any the costs would be if repairs are needed. Is the roof good, is the home in a low lying area, Block VS Wood framing and the list goes on.
I also work with some of the best Local banks & lenders like, RP Funding and Trustco who offer HUD loans with 100% financing, FHA , VA and more.

Please give me a call or email to set up a time to see if you like what I am able to offer you as your buyers agent. You may contact me Via phone from 8AM-7PM 7 days a week, email anytime.

Brian Mahoney
RE/MAX
Town Centre
330 E. Central Blvd.
Orlando, Fl. 32801
C- 848-448-0333
downtownremax@gmail.com
Hello Ben

Please go to this link to check out my recent reviews from my clients.

http://www.zillow.com/profile/MichelleBardsley/

If you are happy with what you read, contact me to move forth.

Thanking you!

Michelle

DIRECT SELL & TEXT: (407) 619-1961
EMAIL: Michelle606@gmail.com