still looking, Home Buyer in Oceanside, CA

Finding a home using a VA loan

Asked by still looking, Oceanside, CA Thu Aug 20, 2009

I am looking for a home using a VA loan. What is the best way to get am offer approved using a VA loan? Are certain homes ( standard sale/ REO/calvet owned/ Fanniemae owned) that might accept a VA over a conventional or FHA?

Answers

6
If you can putting more money down or offering to pay your own closing costs might make your offer more enticing to a seller. Also, like has already been stated it is very important to have an agent who is going to "sell" you and your offer to the seller. Reo is probably a long shot as most have plenty of all cash or conventional offers already and they are looking for highest and best.
Still Looking, I'm a vet. USMC. You can use the VA Loan to buy any type of home as long as it's in VA passable condition. They must pass a VA appraisal and be in livable condition, good roof, flooring, stove, no unpermitted additions, etc.... Many times a flip is a good option, meaning that someone purchased a home and fixed it up and flipped it back on the market. An FHA loan can't be used on homes that are quickly flipped but a VA loan can. Good Luck. You will need to be patient in this market.

http://www.dawnsellssandiego.com/

We recommend two things:

1. Is your agent a VA expert. It takes a particular skill set.
2. Many sellers today are saying "Cash or Conventional Only" in their listings because they are looking to find an offer that is "most likely to close".

This leaves FHA & VA buyers unable to make offeres on the properties. Have your agent filter the listings so you do not wind up in that situation. In terms of REO's, they are ONLY looking for the best offer which is the one "most likely to close". which often means the most money down.

We hope this helps.

Best to you,

Mark and Kari Shea
San Diego Real Estate Experts
Foreclosure, Short Sale & Investment Specialists,
Development Opportunities & Traditional Real Estate
Still Looking,
I have worked with VA clients and it all depends on your offer being highest and best.
Keep in mind of the condition of the home, if the home needs repairs you must put that the seller must make the repairs. VA guidelines are strict.

Jes Sierra, B.Sc.
Realtor®
You might try finding a vet that is trying to sell their home. They are more in tune to your situation. That and look at a lot and make a lot of offers. Be persistant.

Good luck and let me know if I can help,

Joan Wilson
Prudential
760-757-3468
Please go to http://www.queststarrealty.com/ForBuyers.php and review getting started, bidding wars, offer strategies, etc.

We have had great success with VA loans although I'm not going to kid you....you have to be persistant!