Home Buying in New Jersey>Question Details

Mercedes, Home Buyer in 07032

Family oriented towns in Morris county?

Asked by Mercedes, 07032 Tue Nov 13, 2007

Still searching for homes in an affordable area. My husbands job is in Bergen county so we are considering looking at homes in Morris County but aren't really familiar with the area. Can anyone recommend some towns worth checking out.

Answers

6
Hi Mercedes,

Where in Bergen County does your husband work? It's important because if he works in Fort Lee or Englewood, the answer will be quite different than if he works in Ramsey or Mahwah. Commuting from Morris County to Fort Lee or Hackensack would be beastly every morning, and there are no alternates to Route 80. On the other hand, commuting to Franklin Lakes or Mahwah is very doable, and there are lots of alternates and backroads to avoid traffic tie ups.

In general, though, a list of possible towns to check out that are among the more affordable would include Butler, Riverdale, Pequannock, and Lincoln Park. These towns would also be the most commutable to Bergen County. Just watch your flood zones in these towns. If you want to add a little commuting time and include central Morris areas, I would expand the list to include Roxbury, Wharton, Dover, Mine Hill, and Mount Arlington. Randolph is also a possibility, and it has exceptional schools, however you would be settling for a much smaller home there as prices there are much higher.

Western Morris is cheaper, but you are adding significant very tough commuting time that will exhaust your husband, so I would avoid that.

If you would like a "sample pack" of listings for each of these towns, contact me through my website and I'll send them over.

-Marc
Merecedes, all depending on your price range and home requirements will allow me to make some suggestions to you. Depending on your price range you can also consider some homes in Sussex county that borders Morris county for additional options. If you should have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me justink@remax.net
Web Reference: http://www.isellroxbury.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2007
Long Hill township is a great place to live. A rural setting with low crime, great schools, close to Route 78 and NYC. Houses start in the mid 300's and condos slightly lower.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 13, 2007
Hi Mercedes,

I have to agree with Marc. It really does depend on where in Bergen County your husband is going to work. He is right Fort Lee versus Mahwah does make a difference. I live in Bloomingdale (in Passaic County)and my husband used to work in Hackensack. His commute was about 30 minutes on a good day. He also tried to leave early enough to beat traffic. The later he left, the worse traffic was. This is just something to think about. Good luck with your home search!

Kim
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2007
"Long Hill township is a great place to live. A rural setting with low crime, great schools, close to Route 78 and NYC. Houses start in the mid 300's and condos slightly lower." by Don.

I totally agree with Don as I visit Long Hill Library often, and it is one of the best library where municipal building is right next to it. Besides, two blocks away is nice Pathmark supermarket, Penera Bred, Sartbucks...etc, and I like this wonderful Burger King very much like a town center that every weekend you meet lots of residents there.
Roxbury, Randolph, Parsippany, are just few. There are many great towns in Morris County that offer many things for families and children. Feel free to contact me for further information