Home Buying in Raleigh>Question Details

Carissa, Home Buyer in Delaware, OH

Family moving to Raleigh area. 3 houses. Young kids, active in sports. Looking for good schools, small-town feel. What areas fit?

Asked by Carissa, Delaware, OH Sat Jun 4, 2011

My family may be moving to the Raleigh area from Delaware (Columbus), OH. We will be purchasing 3 homes within a 45 minute commute from downtown. We are looking for neighborhoods or nearby towns with a similar feel to our current city. We have young children who enjoy sports and cultural activities. Ideally, we want a small-town feel, great parks and recreation system, farmers market, festivals... general "Americana'-type stuff. GREAT SCHOOLS are important! As for homes, we would like something in the $200,000-$250,000 range on a lot with mature trees. Lots in the 1/4 to 1/2 acre range are ideal. Cul-de-sac or VERY quiet street desired. Please give us some suggestions of communities to look at. We will be visiting the area Monday and Tuesday this week. Thank you!

Answers

23
Hi, Dana. We did NOT end up moving. We visited the area and I have to agree with other responders that Cary and Apex were nice. Apex, in particular, fit the style of community that we were looking for. The historic downtown is great. However, when we weighed the Raleigh school system against our current system in Ohio, we felt that we had a lot more stability here. Also, we already had everything we wanted and needed within our reach here EXCEPT the lovely weather and proximity to the ocean :). So, we're staying put in Ohio.

Good luck on your move!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for clarifying, Carissa. Too often folks come through and ask questions and then drop out of sight.
Difficult decisions, I am sure, but you need to be happy, wherever you are!
Flag Thu Jan 10, 2013
You are coming to the BEST place! Wake County schools are great! We have a great variety of neighborhoods and communities to choose from. You will find a great number of places to see that fit your criteria! Best of Luck!
Oh My Goodness, I know of quiet a few areas that would be absolutly perfect for you and your family. One of them being the Wake Forest Rolesville area.
Great schools, great homeshighway so you are still within a short driving distace to everythi and that small town atmosphere.
Very close to 540 so you are still very close to all the triangle has to offer.

Please call me or send me an email so that I can send you some personalized information and get you into the house of your dreams or at least the house you are looking for to raise your family.

919-291-8502 or f.lisa.stanley@allentate.com.

Check out my profile or website. I promise I will not pester you. I just know from what you described this would be a wonderful area for you.

Hope to hear from you
Lisa Stanley
Carissa,
To schedule a showing of any home in the Triangle visit http://www.PremiereTriangleHomes.com or contact Mark at (919) 627- 8087. I am at your real estate service!
Hi, I just wanted to chime in here. I haven't seen any comments about Clayton. It is about 20 minutes east of Raleigh, in Johnston County, with excellent schools. Greatschools.org ranks schools on a 1-10 scale. Most Clayton schools are a 9 or 10. Its why I moved here! Great small town feel, large lots, lots of space. If you would like to explore it more, send me an email or call and I will be happy to assist. melissap@hpw.com 919-720-3600. Please don't give up on North Carolina yet! The weather and people here are wonderful! Good luck to you!
Did you move? Where? You sound like me and we may be moving there.

Dana

Good luck on your move!
Flag Wed Dec 19, 2012
I would definitely vote for Cary. I think you will find much of what you are looking for here. You will have the small town feel with the conveniences of city living. Apex is also nice, but a little less convenient. We have a lot of local info on our website for you to browse. Best of luck in your move and let me know if my Team and I can assist you in any way!
Hi Carissa-

Cary and Apex will meet all your request and then some. The schools are the best in this area and having raised to kids in Cary I can speak from experience. If you need to get pre-qualified for a mortgage before you make a offer I will be happy to assist you. Best of luck on your search for your new home.

Sherry Riano
919-459-6502
All of the agents below have give wonderful advise about the area that will hopefully make your visit enjoyable. I am sure you will find several options that suit your families needs. I didn't notice Wake Forest mentioned but that is a great option for some of farmers markets, festivals, fireworks, parades etc. which is about 30 mins for Cary via 540. Once your husband solidifies his job options and you family determines where you are going to live I can not stress enough how important it will be to find an agent that can best help you and your family meet your goals. I have sold here in the Raleigh area for the past 17 years and would be happy to help you here in this market but I am also a national trainer and speaker so I know great agents in Charlotte and Atlanta as well if you decide that is the area you are going to move. I would be happy to refer you to several that you could interview to help your family.

Good luck with everything. You are fortunate to have been given great information about all three markets!
Web Reference: http://www.WakeHomeTeam.com
Hi Carissa, Raleigh and the surrounding areas are very diverse. A lot of people don't realize how large of an area Raleigh covers and the number of small bordering towns you have to choose from. You can choose from Chapel Hill for excellent schools, Cary which a lot of northerns like (an upscale feeling), Apex (down home country), Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, Garner, Knightdale, Wake Forest & Durham. All have different things to offer.
If schools are the most important check out http://www.wcpss.net/newcomer/getting-started/ for Wake County and http://www2.chccs.k12.nc.us/education/components/scrapbook/d… for Chapel Hill.
Once you have decided on an area, pick a few Buyer Agents and interview them to see what each one does to help you find the right area, house and coummunity features that best meet your needs. I'd welcome the opportunity to apply for the position.
Take Care and Best of Luck,
Shelia (919)697-1102
Hi, this is Carissa. My husband has a job offer in either GA or NC. We've explored multiple cities, with Raleigh being our final stop. Raleigh is central for the sales territory he will cover.
Carissa,
I have a question for you. After checking your profile I see that you have asked this same exact question, almost word for word, over the last couple of months about Charlotte and Atlanta as well as this one about Raleigh. In each case you seem certain of your move. Can you shed some light on this? On the surface it appears to be some sort of phishing scheme.
Carissa,

Let's start with the schools and then work our way from there to the home, the lot, and the small town feel.
I know the school your children go into will play an important part in your move. Here are some great websites to help you with any questions you may have regarding school statistics.
http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ and http://www.ncpublicschools.org/

These sites allow you to search by school or by district. You can also tell whether the school or district is Honor School of Excellence, School of Excellence, School of Distinction, School of Progress, No Recognition, and Low Performing. It also gives great statistics that show how that school/district did compared to the rest of the district and the state.

Let me know if this works for you and I will be happy to show you homes that fit your criteria.

Brenda Porter
Broker, REALTOR ®
Zip Realty, Inc.
Cell: 919.412.6036
Toll Free: 1.800.225.5947 x8554
Brenda.porter@ziprealty.com
Good morning Miss Carissa! Hopefully you'll be working with a Realtor to assist you. S/he should also include Johnston County and Chapel Hill/Orange in their suggestions to you.

When will you know for sure if you're moving here? Should all 3 homes be in the same neighborhood? Any special needs to be considered? With some serious digging, you may find a home with a basement. Because we have so many hidden 'jewels' it's difficult to name just the right selection of communities that may serve your needs. Some may have a golf course view, while others may just have trees.
Hi Carissa,

Is this your first visit to the area? Have you had any opportunity at all to visit any of these areas? I, like you, wanted a bigger lot, more house for my money. I am so very happy I chose this area, much less traffic, good schools, easy access to all the major highways and yet have an acre of land.

I moved from upstate NY 8 years ago, spent quite a bit of time in different areas prior to purchasing a home. That is always a great idea before you commit yourselves. There are large differences in some of these small towns, we each have our own likes and comfort zones, So many questions to be asked prior to directing you to any specific township. There are some things about homes here in the south you need to be aware of also...prior to making a purchase.

Glad to answer any questions you might have.

Tina Guereschi
919-215-1102
Check out Holly Springs or Fuquay-Varina.
Not sure what you consider "small town". I could suggest the popular suburbs of Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Holly Springs etc. But quite honestly I think North Raleigh area would be best for you. Cary, Morrisville and Apex in particular generally do not offer lots the size you would like or the mature landscaping because most of the areas are fairly new. There are some gorgeous subdivisions in N. Raleigh, with rolling hills, lush trees and lots in the 1/4-1/2 acre plus size. The homes were mostly built in the 70s and 80s but are a great value and most have been well maintained. The schools are great, lots of recreational areas, a wonderful greenway for walking and biking, libraries, and yet within 45 mins of downtown Raleigh. Some of these subdivisions are not in the city even though you would think they are by location and taxes are .06% per $1,000 of tax evaluation!! I've lived in this area for 38 years and know which areas are the best value, and the local builders who put quality and care into certain subdivisions. I know a lot of people who live in many of them who can attest to the quality of life there. This area is so diverse and the people are from all parts of the US and the world, these neighborhoods are often very active and neighbors become very close. It is likely there are folks from where you lived and best yet folks from other places that you will enjoy getting to know and learn from!

I would enjoy talking with you and giving you more specific info. I have experience building, and renovating in addition to being a real estate broker. I don't just sell houses, I really can show you the best for the price because I have the experience. I am not one of the "high volume" realtors in town, I like to take the time with each of my clients and work with them personally. My business is based on reputation and referrals!

You can reach me at 919 308 5774. My website is jbenjey.com. I work with Keller Williams N. Raleigh. I have lived in NE Raleigh, SW Raleigh, Cary, central Raleigh, Durham,and Northwest Raleigh since I moved here from Michigan in 1973. I've seen the town grow, but still maintain a small town atmosphere in many ways. You'll really like it here, and the weather allows sports all year. The sunshine is invigorating!

Jeanette Benjey
Real Estate Consultant for Life
Welcome to the area, I would like to point out a few areas you would like to see that fit in your criteria.. The Durant Trails area, Dominion Park and Wakefield Subdivisions are some of many that fit your area and are within you 45 min commute to the downtown area. Again welcome to the Raleigh Area

Stanley Jones
919-906-5754
Carissa,

I personally live in Morrisville and absolutely love it. The exact sentiments and criteria you mentioned are why we decided to move to Morrisville. Morrisville is the smallest of the towns surrounding Raleigh yet it is so very close to everything you could ever want and need. It's small town attributes are reminiscent of your good ole American towns of the 50's and 60's. In fact, you can still find large farmland amidst the bustling suburbia here in Morrisville. We are adjacent to Research Triangle Park on one side and Cary on the other three sides. I can't say enough about Morrisville. When you come, you certainly need to add Morrisville to your list of places to check out. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

I took the liberty of looking up your town of Delaware and read up on its interesting history. I also noticed some vast similarities with some of our municipalities around. Should Morrisville not work for you, I think Cary or Apex would be a good fit. I have included the links to those municipality's pages. Please let me know if I can bird dog any more information for you. I would be honored at the opportunity to introduce you to our area and show you what makes calling the Triangle home so a blessing.

Warm Regards,

Mark Pelshak
(919) 627-8087

Morrisville: http://www.ci.morrisville.nc.us/
Cary: http://www.townofcary.org/
Apex: http://www.apexnc.org/
Welcome! You would love this area. One comment received from the most relocation families is "We wish that we have done this a few years back". We love to have you and work with you. Although I am not a native North Carolinian (pretty easy to tell, right?), but I have been living and working in this area for more than 27 years.

Great place for raising family.

Jean
Carissa -

Congrats on a possible move! The Raleigh / Cary / Triangle Area is a great place to live and raise a family - very high quality of life - I've been fortunate to live in this area my entire life - and i've been helping families move here for the past 15 years!

A few quick tips about moving here -

You will hear people refer to this area as the 'Triangle' - this is a term referring to the 3 major anchor cities of Raleigh. Durham and Chapel Hill - which form a sideways triangle on the map - in the 'fat' part of that triangle is both the regions 'RDU' airport and the areas largest employment base referred to as the 'Research triangle Park'

Its important to keep in mind the average person relocating to the area will work in the research triangle park - 'rtp' for short - m,meaning when you look at heavy commuter traffic flow the bulk of the traffic is heading into RTP not the downtown raleigh area even though raleigh is the capitol and has a thriving downtown area.

with the schools - we operate on a county base system not a city or town system - so any home in raleigh, cary, apex, etc will all be 'wake' county schools

you mentioned mature trees and homes with at least .25 acre - for the most part you are describing homes built in the 70's and early 80's in our area at the 200-250k price point - during the last 2 decades of major growth our area experienced many developers building on smaller lots and taking out all the trees prior to development - so it becomes a trade off - newer smaller lots versus older larger lots

another point comes into play - as you move out into some of the more rural areas you will see larger lots due to the needed land space for a well and septic system due to not being on city water and sewer.

I did a quick search in the Realtor MLS system - below is the link for a variety of homes in the 200-250k price range with trees and a minimum of .25 acre - hopefully it will give you a feel of whats on the market

You mentioned you have a visit coming up first of the week - I would like to offer you my relocating buyers overview tour - during which I give buyers thinking about moving to the area a very thorough drive around tour of the area - showing you area parks/schools point so interest and the variety in different developments while answering as many questions as you can throw at me! I think you would find it very helpful and valuable in learning the area - if oyu are interested please give me a call at 919-386-9101 and we can set something up!

- David Williams
Broker Owner of CaryRealEstate.com

here is the link for the homes i mentioned

http://tra.mlxtempo.com/Pub/EmailView.asp?r=584711260&s=…
As the previous poster said there are many areas that fit your criteria. Downtown Cary might be a good fit, certain parts of North Raleigh would probably work as well. If you are in it for a bit longer term there are some great up and coming areas where you can get a lot of house for the money and will have great upside appreciation potential. You can run a search at http://www.livinginsidethebeltline.com For info on schools including rankings, etc. go to http://www.wcpss.net.
There are many areas that meet your criteria. The Apex and Holly Springs area come to mind. They are next to Cary and Raleigh, easy commute to any of the shopping events, museums, State Farmers Market and such. Wake Forest on the North side of Raleigh is great also. Feel free to contact me if you want more info or to be shown around. I am working on getting my aunt in Ashville (right below Columbus)OH down here soon, she can't wait. You will love the area and all we have to offer. Would love to discuss more of your needs in your homes if you get the chance. Edward Knox, Realtor with Coldwell Banker Howard Perry and Walston, knoxe@hpw.com