Home Buying in Bloomfield>Question Details

Jennifer, Home Buyer in Bloomfield, IN

FHA and modular homes

Asked by Jennifer, Bloomfield, IN Thu Jun 25, 2009

Will an FHA mortgage cover the costs of purchasing a new modular home as well as installing septic, electricity, water, etc? Land is not a concern as we are able to obtain that from a relative at no cost.

Answers

2
This comes directly from the HUD website:

How about manufactured housing and mobile homes?
Yes, FHA has financing for mobile homes and factory-built housing. We have two loan products - one for those who own the land that the home is on and another for mobile homes that are - or will be - located in mobile home parks.
Purpose of the Loan

A Title I loan may be used for the purchase or refinancing of a manufactured home, a developed lot on which to place a manufactured home, or a manufactured home and lot in combination. The home must be used as the principal residence of the borrower.

Maximum Loan Amount
• Manufactured home only - $69,678
• Manufactured home lot - $23,226
• Manufactured home & lot - $92,904

The maximum dollar limits for lot loans and combination loans may be increased up to 85 percent in designated high-cost areas. For further information on high-cost area limits, contact (800) CALL-FHA.

Maximum Loan Term
• 20 years for a loan on a manufactured home or on a single-section manufactured home and lot.
• 15 years for a manufactured home lot loan.
• 25 years for a loan on a multi-section manufactured home and lot.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions just call the number above.
Best wishes on your new home.
Mary Norris, Realtor, Washington, IN
Jennifer, be sure you are using the term "modular" correctly. A "modular" home is the same as a stick built and lenders will finance it as such. Its pieces were built in a factory setting, then it's assembled at the home site. A "manufactured' home is one that was once on wheels, trucked in already assembled or maybe split in two, with a steel beam running underneath to join the two pieces. It starts out with a BMV registration. This is often financed differently than a stick built or modular home. Unfortunately, as a realtor, I can't really answer your question! (Some help I am, huh?) But a quick call to a reputable lender should be able to get you an answer. I just wanted to make sure you ask the lender the right question. The modular versus manufactured distinction can be confusing and I've talked to a lot of people, realtors included, who interchange the words, but it makes a big difference for lenders. (I do think there are some 100% financing options for purchasing a new manufactured home from a USDA approved builder, again - ask your lender.) Best of luck!
Debtomaro@hotmail.com