Millerbn, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Excessive HOA doc fees?

Asked by Millerbn, San Diego, CA Fri Sep 6, 2013

I'm in the final states of selling my condo and received a bill for over $700 to transfer my hoa docs. this seems excessive...does anyone have experience is this area? I happen to be in San Diego, CA.

Answers

9
That is excessive. For mortgage help, call or email for a free pre-approval in less than 10 minutes. We lend our own money and are licensed in 49 states.

We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (855) 415-5626.

Brad Neumann
Sr. Loan Officer
Crosscountry Mortgage Inc.
Toll Free: (855) 415-5626 ext. 5734
Email: bneumann@myccmortgage.com
NMLS# 948036
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
Sounds very high,

Where is your condo located?

Double check what you are paying for.

Let me know if I can be of any help.
While that amount is a little high, it's not unheard of. Every Seller's Agreement carries a stipulation regarding HOA fees. when applicable. You might want to review yours to insure you are not paying any back fees due. We recommend you speak to one of our real estate professionals for assistance in this matter.

Call 714.988.8399 or visit us online at http://www.globenetrealty.com
I agree with your answer. The cost will probably vary depending on a number of things. I also think you will want to check and make sure you are paying the right amount. A realtor may be able to help you with this. http://www.advantage-idaho.com
Flag Thu Dec 11, 2014
Without a doubt, this is the highest I have ever seen! And, I have closed loans in all 50 states and for well beyond 20 years. Perhaps the documents are "hand scribed"?????

Deborah
WJ Bradley

"We Listen. We Care. We Deliver."
I've been Googling this question of excessive charge for HOA documents that are going to the buyer, but have to be paid for up front, by the seller. I just sold my condo, and I was required to pay (up front) a total of $1344!!!!!!! I am still in shock and reeling over how RIDICULOUSLY high this charge was. I've read of people having to pay $500, and now I have just read that someone else states that they paid $700. I don't understand how they get away with, what boils down to criminal conduct. How on earth can they justify that making copies of paper documents can possibly cost upwards of hundreds of dollars. It makes my blood boil. I feel like making a personal appearance at my HOA's offices and going off on them. And BTW, I'm in Orange County, CA. Is there something I can do about it after the fact????
Flag Tue Jan 27, 2015
That is high, but set by the management company. I am in San Diego and know of only one condo complex that is roughly that - which complex are you in?

Action item - talk to your agent, tell them to verify the fee.

Best of luck,

David Rudd
Kindred Real Estate
That is really high. Make sure you are not paying multiple fees such as the buyers condo cert as well.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 7, 2013
Millerbn,

You should have all the HOA docs yourself, CCR, Bylaws, and RR. So you can just photocopy them yourself and give to your agent. As Ryan said the fees are set by the property management company, which you have the right to request a copy of the contract.

Ben
Wow! That is high! All you can do is question the hoa...What does your agent/escrow say?
Millerbn,
This fee is set by the actual HOA management company so as you can imagine varies, I would call your management company and talk with them to see what can be done.

Also,
Next time you buy or sell, all these fee's are negotiable and don't "have" to be paid by the seller. You could have negotiated that the buyer pay these fee's, then it becomes a non-issue for you!!

Best of luck

Ryan Ferrelli
Ferrelli & Associates, Real Estate Professionals
Broker & General Contractor
7040 Avenida Encinas, Ste. 104
Carlsbad, CA 92011
Cell 858.353.9182
Office 858.352.9829
Fax 858.224.5471
ryan@buysellsd.com