Realsearch, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

Evergreen (zip code 95135) versus Almaden (zip code 95120)

Asked by Realsearch, San Jose, CA Wed Jun 17, 2009

I am looking at two single-family houses - similar in living area with Evergreen one having a bigger lot. Both have good schools, with Almaden having better schools.

Is there any difference in the neighborhoods? If the prices were within 4% of each other, which one would you prefer?

Thanks for any advise

Answers

8
The two zip codes contain highly coveted neighborhoods with attendant prices as well. The 95135 zip code covers a more diverse set of neighborhoods than does 95120. Additionally, the 95135 zip code also includes a far greater amount of non-residential zones including commerce and retail while the 95120 area is most residential.

If you find homes in the Almaden area appealing, then look farther eastward in what is known as the Evergreen Hills (roughly the neighborhoods along and east of San Filipe Rd.) where home prices easily rise of the million dollar mark.

Schools in both areas rate similarly in STAR results and it is those high scores that keep both areas desirable. For commuting, roadways in the Evergreen area can be congested but several trunk routes including Capital Expressway, Highway 101 allow relatively quick access to and away from the area. Roads may be less traveled in Almaden but depending on locations deep within the valley, commute times can long.
Personally I prefer Almaden Valley to Evergreen.

Also Evergreen seems to have greater price volatility than Almaden Valley.

As long as you get the property at Fair Market Value and avoid overpirced property I consider either one to be a good investment.

I recommend that you go with your personal preference and make certain that the property that you get is not overpriced.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
Currently , Almaden is better but in future, 95135 will have much better price appreciation.
Almade +v's : Good schools, low crime , nice nieghbourhood. -ve : older community and older homes.
95135 +v' s : Good schools , newer homes, much youger , vibrant community and school district keeps getting better every year. Will be a sought after area in future -ve : Need to cross not so great areas to reach 95135 ( even though 95135 area is great)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 17, 2009
Hi Realsearch, Almaden. Lower crime, better value upside over time (consider the number of distressed properties in both areas), especially Schools, as you mentioned, and overall personality of the community.

Using a 4% range would only make my opinion lean more heavily toward Almaden.

A 1.5 million dollar home in Almaden in 2006 has held it's value better than Evergreen 95135. What is most interesting and a great indicator of desirability is the Townhome price stability. Almaden would be off the charts using this data point.

The only real downside I would consider would be the age of the properties. A nicely remodeled, or remodel potential, home in Almaden Valley could outweigh the newer amenities and construction of similiar priced homes in 95135.

Michael
http://www.MichaelRobertsHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 17, 2009
Those are both beautiful areas. What are your priorities? HIghest API scores for the schools? Largest lot? Newest homes? Shortest commute?

Agents like me can give you many opinions and show you trends in value, but it really only matters what home and neighborhood you believe is the best fit for your family.

My best advice to you is to spend some time in the neighborhoods, such as the nearby parks and grocery stores-do you feel comfortable there or out of place? Are people friendly, oblivious or hostile?

Evergreen and Almaden are both lovely and have appealing schools and neighborhoods. Re-visit your priorities with your buyer agent to discern which home is the best choice for you.
Neighborhoods all have their own personality. Evergreen has many newer homes with great schools.
Almaden is lushly landscaped, with the majority of homes built in the 1960's & 1970's.

Many people buy where they have friends, or how they will have to commute to work.

I have had other clients decide where they want to live based on their children's after-school activities.

There is no right or wrong answer. Take a drive around each neighborhood and see what feels best to you.

PS - I think I answered that very middle of the road, considering that I love living in Almaden! The parks are awesome, lots are large, and the people are solid. Now there is my bias!

Linda Baker
Alain Pinel Realtors
BRE 01373033
LBaker@apr.com
408.712.3432
where is the city of evergreen calif
is there a city that in calif that is called evergreen calif
In this thread, Evergreen (95135) and Almaden (95120) are considered neighborhoods. Both are in San Jose.
Flag Wed Sep 4, 2013