W3elf, Home Buyer in 95051

Evelyn glen in sunny vale or Shea boulevard in santa clara?

Asked by W3elf, 95051 Thu Feb 18, 2010

which place should i get, Evelyn glen in sunny vale or Shea boulevard in santa clara, the prices of both 2 bed room 2.5 bath is about the same butshea is larger by 200 sqft and has a full 2 car garage. the other difference is the location, does this location difference matter that much?

Answers

9
Thanks for everyones response, You guys have been really helpful.
for the schools argument, how important is the school api for each level? k-8 schools, vs middle, vs high school. I would assume high school is most important, but its the priority like, 30%-30%-40% or more like 20%-20%-60%. I would assume so because of SAT scores and such. this is what i got from talking to some parents. The APIs i quoted were only for k-8 and middle school.
The schools do matter and the city of Sunnyvale has some pretty good programs that continue to nurture the value of Sunnyvale homes. Sunnyvale may outsell Santa Clara in years to come, although for other parameters of quality of life (easy commute, distance to grocery shopping etc) I don't believe you can go wrong with either location.

The APIs you quote are quite compelling -- mid 800s is a lot stronger than mid 700s. You are going to attract better buyers, the stronger the schools.

You can also go to http://www.CrimeReports.com and http://www.WalkScore.com with the addresses and see how they rank and rate for kinds of crimes and proximity to shopping and parks.

Erica Nelson
http://www.EricaNelsonEstates.com
EricaNelsonEstates@gmail.com
408-416-7090
Hi W3elf,
From what you have written it appears that you should go with the Shea one as that seems to be where you are leaning. I think you should go with your gut feeling and not second guess yourself. To bad you didn't bring a realtor with you, they may have gotten you a better deal or negotiated some amenities for you, I have done just that for my clients who wish to purchase new.
As always feel free to contact me with any questions.
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256
If you qualify (not likely if you have dual incomes, but eminently possible if you're buying alone), there are Below Market Rate 2bed/2.5bath units available at the Boulevard.
First, I would say also it depends what you are buying it for. Are you buying strictly as an investment or as a place you plan to stay a few years. If you're buying for an investment only and just looking to get in and get out as soon as practical for making a profit, I would say go with the extra sq. footage and the garage. The market isn't always going to be like this, and while it's true people are big on location and schools, they're also big on wants vs. needs. I may only need a carport, and 2 bedrooms to take care of my wife and 2 kids, but I would love to have a garage, be able to work on my own car, and have enough room where the kids and I aren't on top of each other. For the same amount of money, which sounds better to you? There's not that much difference commute wise to give up a garage to be 10 minutes closer to work. If I'm truly worried only about my children's education that only 100 points in the score would make that big a difference to me, I'd probably buy a 1 bedroom in Cupertino. LOL.
Good luck to you no matter which way you go. If you'd like to talk about it more, don't hesitate to contact me.
If you see yourself having friends over and if you like entertaining then having the larger unit would make sense for the hear and now. People like newer homes and Santa Clara is a nice city so I wouldn't worry about selling your home down the road. Get something that is a good fit for you in your current situation. We don't know what is going to happen to us tomorrow. Many great plans have been changed over night by things that were totally out of peoples control. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about the area. I have lived here for 35 years. Best to you. Fred Raia

Fred Raia
Realty World Relocation Express
3400 El Camino Real Suite # 6
Santa Clara, Ca. 95051
408-230-1119
thanks for your input,
well one of the main reasons is maybe resale value, the schools api is about 100 diff. 845 vs 745 in santa clara. I wonder if this is worth it? i know i will not be here by the time i have a child, but in terms of resale value, or maybe if i will rent this unit out. I do like that the unit is larger and very close to my school and work.
It depends on what you are looking for. If you want to be closer to shopping and not close to a railroad track then I would go with the larger square footage and buy in Santa Clara. It is always nice to have the extra square footage and a two car garage. Sunnyvale is also a good city and the units in Sunnyvale look better on the outside. Either way you will have to pay a monthly hoa fee. I don't know if you are a first time buyer but Santa Clara offers a first time buyer program that will give you up to $75,000 without a payment for the first 5 years. Good luck but I wouldn't rush into anything right now if you don't have too.

Fred Raia
Realty World Relocation Express
3400 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, Ca 95051
408-230-1119
Also, in terms of price per sqft, Evelyn glen is around $406/sqft and shea boulevard is $361/sqft