Home Buying in 95051>Question Details

rajendernred…, Home Buyer in Santa Clara, CA

Escrow closing requires all the buyers to be on site?

Asked by rajendernreddy, Santa Clara, CA Tue Dec 4, 2012

me and my friend both purchasing a home and all of the sudden my friend went out of station due to family urgency. I want to close the home and send the documents to my friend so that they can sign appropriate documents. Can I do that?

Help the community by answering this question:


Talk to your title company. I work with lots of international clients and there are ways to ensure the signing still goes smoothly. If they are out of the country, they will need to have a U.S. notary notarize the documents, usually at a U.S. embassy.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
Hi Reddy

Thanks for your question and regret to learn of your friend's urgency in India.

Prior, to leaving your friend could have given you a Power of Attorney, or if he has done this before
then he is quite aware that the Documents can be signed at a US Consulate in India.

Good luck.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
Your friend can sign with mobile notary provided by Escrow . .but in future, if he needs to go away before closing, just ask him & escrow to give/create "specific power of attorney" for that particular house address & you can sign on his behalf without worrying about sending the documents on time or finding the notary (especially if it is out of country etc) .

Please note this "specific power of attorney" is only good for property address that was created for only & not the same as general power of attorney - Hope this help.

Alex Aung
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
Thanks All for your valuable answers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
As stated below, all parties have to sign. The title companies are very good about setting up remote signings – even in other countries. Talk to your title officer – they can coordinate everything. Do it right away so there won’t be any extra delay in closing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
Thank you
Flag Tue Dec 4, 2012
Like other said, title can provide a notary for your friend to sign. Or your friend can sign a limited power of attorney for someone else or you to sign. Your title company can provide this form if you don't have one.

Good luck!
Helen Chong
Haylen Group Inc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
As others have said, this is a fairly routine matter for your agent and the escrow officer to handle. You wouldn't handle the documents, but the EO would send them wherever your friend is and arrange for a notary to do the sign-off. The only thing that would make it a little trickier is if your friend is out of the country, in which case an appointment would have to be made with a notary at a US Embassy.

Good luck,
Roland Barcos
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
Talk to your title officer. They will be able to tell you how to handle this. It all depends of where your friend is, what are the lender requirements and the title company.
Web Reference: http://talisrealestate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
Both Tina and Ron gave you good advice. Most title companies will work with you on this. If there is a loan then your friend will have to sign this with a notary, work with the title company to get this done. Why hasn't your agent helped you with this?
At your service,
Certified Distressed Property Expert
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
Title Companies can be very accomodating; very SERVICE oriented:
Talk to your Title Company; they can probably e-mail, or Overnight the Documents and arrange for the Notary. They will help you arrance for Money Transfers, etc.
You probably can arrange for a Power-of-Attorney for your friend; but you probably do not have to.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
Sure, if you're purchasing with all cash, you don't even need to be present for a signing. Just send in a fax/scan of your signed documents. If you're using financing, then the lender will require you to get a local notary for the signing. You can have your friend send in his notarized documents for you to sign. Speak with your escrow officer to work this out.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
Thank you
Flag Tue Dec 4, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer