Home Buying in Evanston>Question Details

Judidt, Home Buyer in Pennsylvania

Empty lots in Evanston?

Asked by Judidt, Pennsylvania Fri May 27, 2011

We're moving to Evanston from out of state and plan to build or heavily renovate a house. We will rent during the process. There aren't many empty lots in Evanston, but there are a number of them on a city block near Northwestern. It's hard to determine if their prices are market appropriate, and we don't know what the neighborhood is like other than from Google street view. Does anyone have information about these lots (bound by Orrington, Sherman, Colfax and Lincoln) or know of other empty lots/teardowns within walking distance of the train?

Answers

8
I'm Top Producer Steven Sims with Coldwell Banker in Evanston and want to tell you that if you would like to build a new home on the previous Kendel College site across from Northwestern &the lake I am in touch with the developer who just purchased it. Call me at 847-567-9000 for any Evanston Home!
I have 2 lots in Evanston. One at 604 Judson, the other at 608 Judson.
Not sure if the need is still there. But we will have several lots in Evanston coming to market shortly. We'd be happy to discuss your needs.
There has been a lot of good information already presented here, therefore the only think I would add is that depending on your budget and financial means, then yes, there is always room for teardowns or heavy renovations because Evanston is a diverse neighborhood with a large range of housing stock.

One of our clients is an investors who buys properties near the University as well as along the train stops and has had great success identifying favorably priced real estate opportunities. There is no reason why you should not have similar success by working with a talented Realtor who is familiar with the Evanston Real Estate market.

Welcome to Evanston,
Michael

Michael Hobbs
President
PahRoo Appraisal & Consultancy
Web Reference: http://www.pahroo.com
I've lived in Evanston since 1976 when I entered Northwestern University as a freshman. I lived at Elder Hall just one block east and one block south of this empty lot. From 1977 through 1986 I lived at 2316 Sherman Avenue in an apartment on the 3rd floor that had a nice view of this block which used to be occupied by several buildings that made up the campus of Kendal College. Years later our firstborn son went to Midwest Montessori School which was located in the lower level of one of Kendal College's buildings.

Just to the northeast of this block is a block bounded by Sheridan Road to the east, Orrington Avenue to the west, Lincoln Avenue to the north and Milburn Street to the south. This block is owned by Northwestern University and is used as a field for intramural sports activities. On the original platt and survey of Evanston this block was numbered "Block 89". I have spent many evenings in the middle of that block looking up at the stars. The name of the field where this block resides is "Long Field." Evanston's public water utility and Lake Michigan is located on the east side of Sheridan Road just one block to the east.

I don't know what the cost of these Kendal Townhome lots are going for but what I can tell you is that they are going for a fraction of what they were going for 2-3 years ago when the market peaked.

It's a beautiful neighborhood. Very quiet and so close to the lake, the university and beaches - just to the north Evanston's Lighthouse Beach and just to the east Northwestern University's beach which is located on the northern section of their "lakefill" property which was created in the mid-1960's.

You can't go wrong with the location. It's about as close to the Lake as one can get in Evanston. And it's a very short walk to the Noyes "L" station where you can take the subway downtown to Evanston and Chicago. The METRA train station is located just a little over 1 mile to the west at the intersection of Lincoln and Green Bay Road.
The lots your talking about are in a prime east location in Evanston, near the lakefront, near downtown, transportation and near the University.

Since they're selling those lots as part of a new construction process, it's hard to know if the prices are "market appropriate" or not... yet. Much depends on how quickly the lots are snatched-up, what type of properties are built upon them, and whether or not they end up "discounting" to sell them.

It's something we Evanston Realtors are keeping a close eye upon, I can assure you.

Evanston is a mature community and has very few "empty lots" to build on, such as those you describe.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
In Evanston and other North Shore suburbs, smaller homes often times are tear downs making room for a
new home. There is a home listed for $429,500 on a good size lot near Northwestern. There are many good opportunites to renovate a larger home, plus to rent during. Contact me at 847-305-0628. Full time Realtor
serving clients on the North Shore. Terry Anderson, Broker Koenig & Strey Real Living
Hi
I am Bonnie Wilson a Realtor with Koenig & Strey. I have been selling real estate in Evanston for over 20 years.
I know about the properties you are asking about near Northwestern. The vacant lots just came on the market
recently. There was college there and the developer took it down to build houses there about 3 to 4 years ago.
However, the first developer did not work out and another developer took over the land and divided it into several lots. It depends on how big of a house you would like to build.
This properties are in a very desirable location in a very residential area close to the University and
not far from the "L".

There are also another vacant lots on Dempster and Ridge street also not far from transportation.

You are welcome to go to my website at BonnieSWilson.com. Please email me at bwilson@koenigstrey.com
so I can give you more up to date information on these lots and also talk to you about homes that needs renovation.

You can also reach me at 847-226-7292. I would be happy to talk to you about these properties.

Bonnie Wilson
Koenig & Strey Real Living
2111 Central St.
Evanston, Il 60202
847-226-7292 - Cell phone
Web Reference: http://BonnieSWilson.com