Home Buying in 11375>Question Details

rssraj, Home Buyer in 11375

E&O Insurance for home inspector

Asked by rssraj, 11375 Wed Jan 25, 2012

Guys - should I make sure that a home inspector has E&O insurance when hiring him? Do most home inspectors carry that?


Help the community by answering this question:


Rssraj, always make sure property inspectors are insured and have an association with a national group like American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI http://www.ashi.org/ Also what is their policy to warrant or back you up if they make significant errors in their inspections.

Less chances of bad results when you deal with experienced/knowledgeable/reputable Professionals.

Good Luck,

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
The E&O insurance is completely different from liability insurance. For example our state required that licensed home inspector carry a liability insurance only. As of E&O insurance inspector may have it and may have not. There is a different forms of "inspection insurance" inspector can offer. For example look at my website under "100 days warranty".
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 26, 2012
Make sure that your inspector is licensed and does carry insurance....what is your agent advising...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
I would make sure that your Home Inspector is a member of ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) and does carry some insurance. My home inspector also ensures his work up to a value ($5,000) I believe in case there is something he should have caught was missed.

Luckily my clients have never used it, but I think it says something about the integrity of his work that he is willing to insure it!
Web Reference: http://www.ashi.org/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
Hello, What do you mean by..." My home inspector....." If you are a real estate broker/agent you should not "have" inspectors but have a list or a group of cards & brochures for your client to select "his or her" inspector....You need to stay out of that loop or you may become double liable..... I am "Tim Williams Dot Biz".......Home Insp, GC and RE Broker in SC-USA.
Flag Fri Aug 30, 2013
You may talk to your real estate agent. They know the professional Home inspector because agent work with them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer