Home Buying in Daly City>Question Details

Greg Yurikov, Home Buyer in Daly City, CA

During the closing process of a property purchase, can I add my mom as a joint tenant w/...

Asked by Greg Yurikov, Daly City, CA Mon Jun 29, 2009

right of survivorship, in case something happens to me? She'll help me out w/ the down payment but she won't be on the mortgage.

Help the community by answering this question:


Just to add to the earlier post, make sure she has valid forms of identification. I recently had a client do the same and there was a BIG issue because his wife who was from a different country did not have proper legal documentation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 13, 2010
Hi Greg,

Yes, you can do that, just add her on title only. You can ask your escrow officer to do this for you. Make sure it's not going to be an issue for your lender though, since she won't be on the mortgage. If it will be an issue, do it right after closing. You will just have to have the deed re-recorded in the county office but it's easy. The escrow officer can help prepare the forms for you.

Hope that helps.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 29, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer