webmihir, Home Buyer in Sunnyvale, CA

Don Callejon as elementary school?

Asked by webmihir, Sunnyvale, CA Sun Oct 13, 2013

With a 700k budget, I am looking for a newish (2000 ) town house and an excellent (900 API) elementary school (my kid is only 1.5 years old, so with a good elementary school, we are looking at being in that townhome for atleast 7-8 years).

While I am looking at the usual school districts around Sunnyvale (south of fremont ave 94087), santa clara (parts of 95051) and cupertino; it seems somewhat of a stretch to find a new-ish townhouse in these areas given my budget. I am now starting to consider rivermark area as well.

I am seeing very mixed reviews about Don Callejon, but most of them seem to be negative for the middle school. Is there a way to find the API scored for the elementary (K-5) grades for this school; and if possible, also the growth trend in API score for past few years? I see the overall API score in low 850s but that includes middle school as well.

Answers

10
Hi Webmihir

Your best bet will be in Berryessa around Trade Zone.

The API scores are over 900 and you get newer Town Homes.

Let me know if I can help.

Bes regards
Perry Mistry

408-656-5343
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
Check out Trulia's "Local Info" for more info to help with locations choices.
see if schoolsandhousing.com is a better option for you - I refer my clients to this website as you can type in the address and it only gives you the API score
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 10, 2013
I have a listing coming up by Sutter School in Santa Clara. It is also very close to Miliken and Magnolia Science Academy 6-10th. All API is over 900. It is in your price rance. Please get in touch if you are interested and I can give more information. My children attend Sutter and Magnolia Science and they are great schools. Magnolia Science is a lotto school and it goes from 6th-10th but eventually high school. You might already know of it already and it is a great option and of no cost for our children to attend. It is a Charter School. Greatschools.orq is an excellent tool for finding out the school and the history.
webmihir,

You should take a look at the STAR test results. If the link doesn't break you can go to:
http://star.cde.ca.gov/star2013/ViewReport.aspx?ps=true&…

You can search for test results from (which gave the above link):
http://star.cde.ca.gov/star2013/SearchPanel.aspx

I recently bought a home for a family with their desired excellent school. They never would have found it because it was not in the city limits they had specified and the price was lower than what they thought they would have to pay.

Zip 95054 home values http://julianalee.com/zip-code/95054-statistics.htm
Zip 95054 just sold real estate http://julianalee.com/zip-code/95054-home-sales.htm

After you find your home you will still have to make a purchase offer the seller will accept. Purchasing a home is not the same as buying something off of a grocery store shelf. It involves people and agreements between people. Some offers are more credible than others. Some people are more credible than others. Some people can find out how to make the buyer's offer more attractive at a lower cost. Experience makes a big difference ... just like it does with something simple like baseball.

You will get better results working with a top experienced real estate agent. Give me a call and we can chat.

Juliana Lee
Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty, the nations largest
Cell 650.857.1000

Over 20 years experience
Over 1,000 homes sold in Santa Clara County and San Mateo County
.
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com
Thanks again for the answers, Terri. However, I think you are mis-understanding my question.

I understand that I can easily get API scores for most schools on google. However, my question is a little different.

Don Callejon is a school that has both, elementary and middle school grades (i.e. school goes K-8 grades). Their overall API scores last year were 868. However, this score includes all grades. I am mainly looking at how the school fared in the elementary grades (K-5 grades) only - not including middle school grades.

Greatschools.org Gives rating details where they rate grades 2,3,4,5 as "10" (http://www.greatschools.org/california/santa-clara/16956-Don…) - does this mean that the school's elemtary API was >900?
The rating and the API scores are different #s and no, they are not the same. GreatSchools.org is the best place to reseraching API scores for each individual school. You can have over 900 and still get a 9 out of 10 because there are more indicators that go into the picture. Also don't forget about Challenger as an option should schools change or trend differently in four or five years. There is a pocket in Sunnyvale that is great 94087 -- also Milpitas has some strong elementary-middle combos close to North Abbott. You may want to choose a newer home and a private option -- that gives you more flexibility on your zip code.
Flag Sat May 10, 2014
I subscribe to a home search program which pulls from School API. The program currently doesn't exclude age or type of home, but will allow me to input price and bedrooms. If you would like to see other areas, such as Evergreen, Cambrian, etc, which possibly have a fit for you, reach out to me.

To answer your question, a simple google search with the school name and API following it, such as; "Don Callejon Elementry School API" will pull the information you seek.
Thanks Davis. The overall api scores are even listed on the schools website (http://www.doncallejon.org/api-score). Bieber, I'm looking for a break down of api for elementary vs. Middle rather than the overall/cumulative score.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 13, 2013
Google works for finding APi Scores; Only showed past 2 years on this sight but look further.
Academic Performance Index (API) Report California Department of Education
Analysis, Measurement, &
Accountability Reporting Division
6/25/2013

2012 Growth API Links:
School: Don Callejon

(An LEA is a school district, county office of education, or statewide benefit charter.)
LEA: Santa Clara Unified
County: Santa Clara
CDS Code: 43-69674-0110700
School Type: Elementary

Direct Funded Charter School: No

2011-12 APR2011-12 State API 2012 Federal AYP and PI
Summary
Glossary
Base
Guide
Growth
AYP
PI
Guide
Met Growth Targets
Schoolwide: Yes
All Student Groups: No
All Targets: No

Groups

Number of Students Included in 2012 API Numerically Significant in Both Years 2012
Growth 2011
Base 2011-12 Growth Target 2011-12 Growth Met Growth Target
Schoolwide 655 855 858 A -3 Yes
Black or African American 42 No 741 750
American Indian or Alaska Native 3 No
Asian 243 Yes 973 971 A 2 Yes
Filipino 53 No 868 840
Hispanic or Latino 197 Yes 721 748 5 -27 No
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 3 No
White 80 No 895 877
Two or More Races 25 No 891 908
Socioeconomically Disadvantaged 266 Yes 737 760 5 -23 No
English Learners 318 Yes 846 862 A -16 Yes
Students with Disabilities 79 No 687 687

Similar Schools Median API
Click on the median value heading to link to the list of 2011 Base API similar schools. This list contains schools which were selected specifically for the reported school for the 2011 Base API Report.
2012 Growth 2011 Base
860 848
Just to clarify, when I say "newish" townhome, I mean something that is year 2000 or newer.

I define excellent elementary school as one with 900+ API. I understand that API is not everything, but I do see it as a very important number.

Finally, I am looking at a townhome that has atleast 2bd and 2ba (1.5ba not OK).

Thanks for the answers in advance.
I have been selling homes in Rivermark and just closed on October 16th. I can certainly guide you of Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Even Fremont Warm Spring, and a part of Milpitas is also a good choice for the price you are looking for.
1. Don Callejon School (Elementary) is really good. No problem at all.
2. If you are planning to stay in Rivermark only for 7-8 years then you are missing a point here. if you are planning to stay for 7-8 yrs, your child is 1.5 yrs old, he/she will only be able to enjoy two years of schooling as your child has to be 5 yrs old for kindergarten. By the time he will complete the elementary, you will be in that area for almost 10 years. So, to be in Middle school, you have to be there for 12 years. Your decision is based on your priority of schooling and up to what level you want him to continue in that school. Rivermark area is built after 2005 so no worries for you and there are homes for your range. Call me if you would like to discuss - Roger
925-980-4113
Flag Sun Oct 27, 2013