Home Buying in Mission Bay>Question Details

Mark, Other/Just Looking in 94114

Dogpatch new construction

Asked by Mark, 94114 Tue Jul 17, 2007

Hi, what's the best way to find out all the new construction that's going on in the Dogpatch/Potrero Hill/Mission Bay areas? I see lots of construction but don't know how to find out when they go on sale. My realtor doesn't seem to be too keen on helping me find new construction since the incentives aren't so good for the buyer's agent.

Answers

6
Try the planning department's website. Once you find out what the project is, then you'll know if you want to continue to pursue it.

Here's a link to the variance page: http://sfgov.org/site/planning_page.asp?id=62485
Your realtor should be ashamed of himself/herself! Find yourself on who is on top of all new construction. That being said, there are websites like sfgov.org, curbed, socket, newconstruction and others from companies which market the new construction which will tell you about the sites. Once you hear the name of a building, you can go directly to that site. Going to sfarmls.com won't help as most new construction is not on the San Francisco Multiple Listing site until well into the selling process.

P.S. The incentives are just fine as the agent gets a full commission (2.5 to 3%) for most of the SF developements. Some developers try to do without paying an outside realtor, but find they need us so they start offering commissions pretty quickly. Some realtors will not tell you about those that do not offer commissions but I think they give us a bad name because I believe in showing everything.

Sally
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 22, 2008
check out curbed.com
this is a blog that covers real estate news/happenings in major metro areas, including SF. that is how i found out about the esprit park development ( which is right in the area of dogpatch). realtors i asked were either not informed or interested in discussing this dev - so i know what you mean.
Web Reference: http://curbed.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 22, 2007
Find a different agent. Incentives are usually better with new homes these days. If you need help let me know. You can still look on Realtor.com you can also check out http://www.sfnewdevelopments.com/.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 17, 2007
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Hi Mark, I am an agent outside your area and I love NEW Construction. Certainly there are agents in your area that do new construction as well. Most either dont have the experience (have never done it), or dont want to wait 90-120 days to get paid...silly...its not about when and how much a realtor gets paid, its about doing the right job for each client...as individual as their needs and goals are.

Personally, I think its a GREAT time to BUILD. In my area (portand, or and Vancouver, Wa), the unsold speculative building is GONE and most of the new construction is build to suit.

Find a realtor, who will find you land in the area you want, and familiar enough with the builders to match you with a builder in your general price range. ...at the very least one who will scan the MLS for "new".

Many of the builders will pay a realtor ONLY if the realtor is present on the first visit. So, find a qualified realtor, committ to them with an agency agreement and committ to the process (when you are ready)
...YOU"ll get what you want. Many people put finding a house first, when finding the right realtor can streamline the whole process and save you TIME and MONEY.

Additionally? I personally think building now is great for our economy, jobs, and putting people to work.

Good Luck.
Find a good Real Estate Agent. You should also check with the Land Development department of a large title company in your area. The big name companies work closely with the builders in your area and know A LOT!