Home Buying in Mission Viejo>Question Details

Mv Buyer, Home Buyer in Mission Viejo, CA

Doesn't a real estate agent have a legal responsibility to protect their clients interest, even if a sales contract cancels?

Asked by Mv Buyer, Mission Viejo, CA Thu Dec 16, 2010

We were 2 weeks into escrow and our FHA loan did not approve due to permit issues. The sellers and both agents including the Broker overseeing both agents flew into a rage because I would not sign off on the contingencies. The seller has refused to sign the escrow cancellation for 2 weeks now and my own agent wont talk to me. The property is already re listed as pending with a new buyer. The Broker is taking no action and I am left on my own with over $ 7,000.00 in loses. Are there no laws to protect against this sort of thing?

Answers

21
Mv Buyer:

"Doesn't a real estate agent have a legal responsibility to protect their clients interest, even if a sales contract cancels?"

Per the Agency Disclosure you signed (CAR Form AD), an Agent has Fiduciary duties to a client (A fiduciary duty is the highest standard of care possible). These can be boiled down to Loyalty, Obedience, Diligence, Disclosure, Accountability, and Confidentiality.

If an Agent does not act in a fiduciary capacity, THEN legal exposure can follow. If you believe this has occurred I would suggest you seek legal representation, but would first advocate you speak to the Agent's Broker first.
You can check the status of a DRE Licensee and locate their Broker (and past violations) here:
http://www2.dre.ca.gov/PublicASP/pplinfo.asp

Seek a Real Estate Lawyer for legal advice.

“We were 2 weeks into escrow and our FHA loan did not approve due to permit issues. “

The term “Permit issues” is a little vague and hard to respond to, as these can be non-material and/or easily corrected to complete additions without City approval. More details would be constructive.

The sellers and both agents including the Broker overseeing both agents flew into a rage because I would not sign off on the contingencies.

“The seller has refused to sign the escrow cancellation for 2 weeks now and my own agent wont talk to me. The property is already re listed as pending with a new buyer.The Broker is taking no action and I am left on my own with over $ 7,000.00 in loses.”

3 comments:

1) How did you collect $7K in losses?

2) Para 26C(1) (Dispute Resolution-Exclusions) of the CAR RPA (4/10) allows the Buyer to go DIRECTLY to Small Claims Court, which typically in CA has a jurisdictional max of $7,500. [See Para 17B(2) for earlier version of the CAR RPA].

3) Para 14F of the CAR RPA (4/10) states, "14F. Effect Of Cancellation On Deposits: If Buyer or Seller gives written notice of cancellation ….A Buyer or Seller may be subject to a civil penalty of up to $1,000 for refusal to sign such instructions if no GOOD FAITH dispute exists as to who is entitled to the deposited funds (Civil Code §1057.3)."
[capitalization added by poster]
Basically, the Seller has “30 days following a written demand for the return of funds deposited in escrow by the other party” Civil Code §1057.3: http://law.onecle.com/california/civil/1057.3.html

“Are there no laws to protect against this sort of thing?”
There is a whole body of contract law that protects against your situation, to include the CAR RPA both paries signed!

Best Regards, Steve
My Buyer,
A legal Responsibility?
That is a legal question best answered by a real estate attorney.
I will say an ethical and fiduciary responsibility, yes
As you can clearly tell Dual Agency is no way to go.
It appears from what you wrote that the broker may have taken the sellers side and may have directed the agent who represented you to do nothing. I don't know. I would say I would highly doubt you would have this much difficulty if you had your own agent and brokerage representing you.
I believe a real estate attorney would love this and so would the Department of Real Estate.
I also believe that if you went the route of small claims you would get your money back just the same.
However, Keep in mind I have not seen all the facts and I am not an attorney and you definitely need legal advice.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomesrealestate.com
http://www.socalhomesrealestate.com
California Department of Real Estate License # 01312992
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 17, 2010
Hi MV Buyer,

I'm sorry to hear of this problem...especially in my own city. I think at this point you need to have a conversation with the local Board, the Orange County Association Of Realtors and see if you can get some direction. (949) 586-6800. Then you might need to speak to a real estate attorney and get him to step in. There are several remedies you have, and an attorney can advise you of your legal rights.

It's so sad that your agent did not take his/her fiduciary duties seriously....from what you say....but most agents are very loyal and competent......I'm sure you will find something better.

If you have any other questions...please shoot me a private email and I'd be happy to try and answer them for you.

Karen
Mv Buyer,

After reading two of your questions and your additions in both...I'd agree that it is worth a consultation with a real estate attorney. At this point (from your point of view), there is no one looking out for you or your deposit. We are on the outside looking in and cannot offer legal advice to your situation. Get someone on your team (a real estate attorney) as soon as possible.

My question is...what happened after your agent knew about the FHA issue? I'm curious what was said and what he/she offered to you as options.

I hope your next update includes that you have spoken with a real estate attorney.

Good luck on resolving this!
Web Reference: http://www.felixhung.com
Best to consult with an attorney BUT, you can also file a complaint with the local Association of REALTORS where the Broker is a member. There are many Associations in SoCal so best to ask the Broker directly and tell him / her why. That should get their attention. Also, you could ask the Escrow company, assuming it's not owned by the Broker !

Best of Luck,

Thom Colby
Broker / Owner & Certified HAFA Specialist
Thom Colby Properties
Newport Beach, CA
Moving Lives Forward (TM)
We NEVER DOUBLE-END Transactions in our Brokerage. There is NO benefit to the Seller or Buyer and only benefits the Agent. Also, NEVER use your RE Agent / Broker as your Lender or vice versa. Also, be careful when using Real Estate Broker-owned Escrow and Title Companies - they can be loads of trouble.
888-391-5245 Direct Cell
THOM@THOMCOLBY.COM
DRE# 01398570
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 19, 2010
Hi Mv Buyer

Clearly an agent has responsibility and better yet his broker especially when there is significant conflict of interest.

You definitely file a complaint with the DRE as well as get an attorney.

The fees will likely get reimbursed as you have a strong case.

Perry
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
MV Buyer.

Oh my goodness! First, I'm so sorry you are going through this...home buying is stressful enough without this added drama. You did the right thing in not signing off on the contingencies before you had loan approval. I agree with the advice you've been given to talk with an attorney. At this point, you need to extricate yourself from this deal and get back your money before really dealing with another real estate agent. The good news is you are indeed protected in many ways.

Good luck and please don't let this experience sour you on finding the right home for you and your family. Hopefully next time, you are able to find an agent that really looks after your best interests--there are many of us out there! Sounds like you're definitely due some good news...

-Meredith Drews
Since the entire transaction is being represented by the same Brokerage, and the in-house escrow company there is major liability here. You can quickly and easily file a lis pendens against this property, and that will prevent them from closing with the new buyer, and everyone will want to get you out of the picture as quickly as possible by giving you your deposit back.
Did escrow disclose to you that there would be a $1,000 cancellation fee? Did you ever agree in writing to a cancellation fee? Call the attorney Steve Zipperman as recommended, and ask about filing a lis pendens.
Otherwise, sit in the Brokers office until you get satisfaction. Also, it doesn't sound like this property even qualifies for an FHA loan, why did your agent allow you to make an FHA offer on a property without permits.
Ask the Broker why his/her agent didn't warn you about what happens when an FHA appraiser comes to the property and calls out these repairs, and the loan won't go through. That Broker is your representative as well as the seller's so sit on them til they make you happy!
Web Reference: http://www.movetosocal.com
Mv Buyer:

You have quite a bit going on here and it sounds like some "strong arm tactics" are in play with the dual-agency broker who also owns the escrow company.

Re: Small Claims, as I stated in my answer below:
"2) Para 26C(1) (Dispute Resolution-Exclusions) of the CAR RPA (4/10) allows the Buyer to go DIRECTLY to Small Claims Court, which typically in CA has a jurisdictional max of $7,500. [See Para 17B(2) for earlier version of the CAR RPA]."

Re: The escrow company’s ability to charge a cancellation fee:
The State of CA's Department of Insurance Bulletin No. NS-35E (dates back to 1965-66) allows the Escrow company to charge a fee. See: http://docs.Steven-Anthony.com/NS-35E_EscrowCancellationFee.pdf
Personally, and I suppose depending if you signed the first cancellation already, I would send an email instructing your agent to resend the cancellation and under 2D indicate that 100% of Buyer’s deposit be returned to place the $1,000 cancellation fee in dispute. By the way, you might want to bring up where such fee was disclosed to you before engaging their services and to show where you signed your acceptance to such a fee.

I would strongly suggest an initial consultation with a RE Lawyer. After the meeting you can decide on what to do. Hiring the Lawyer to first write a letter to the appropriate parties may act as a strong enough "shot across the bow" to get them to act responsibly. If not, I would next consider initiating a Small Claims action. Lastly (due to the extended timeline before resolution might be determined) have the RE Lawyer file suit. I'm sure the DRE would also be interested in hearing from you: http://www.dre.ca.gov/cons_complaint.html

One thing is for sure – you need to start looking out for your own interests because, in my opinion, it sure appears your Agent may not be.

Best, Steve
My Buyer,

Please take some time and some heart that the contract has protections for you and if you prevail there are penalties and damages for a seller who improperly hold your depost. Unfortunately your agent can not help in a contract dispute (the reason is that you and the seller now have legal rights that may not be explicitly detailed in the contract requiring the services of a legal professional. An agent performing dipute resolution is perfoming the services of an attorney...so we are told...)
Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
It sounds like more details are in order. First of all let me say this is a short sale that we have been waiting 6 months for approval. There is also an attorney for the sellers negotiating the short sale and getting 2.5% of the sales price as a negotiating fee.
Nov. 9, 2010 escrow opens. On Nov. 24 the FHA underwriter asks to see the TDS. My agent calls my LO to inform him that there may be a problem because she wrote in her sec. IV agents disclosure that she was aware that I had called the city and found that the kitchen remodel including removal of a load bearing wall had the initial permits issued, but final inspection never performed and permits expired. She also wrote in the TDS that I had already obtained a termite inspection and a roof inspection. My 17 day contingency period was up on Nov. 26 (day after Thanksgiving) The following Monday 11/29 seller starts pushing for me to sign off on the contingencies, even though they know my loan approval is highly unlikely. On Nov. 30 the underwriter asks for the termite and roof reports and for the appraiser to investigate the permit issue. Since these issues cant possibly be remedied by the Dec. 9 closing date we have to cancel the loan app. and pursue another lender who hopefully wont ask for the TDS. Did I mention that the sellers agent and by agent are both under the same Broker? Now the the broker gets involved, and says they will only ask for an extension to the short sale approval if I sign all the contingencies except for the loan contingency. Since there are conditions with the house and now interest rates have gone up 3/4% in 1 week I have conditions regarding the house and the interest rate that I want modified in the contract. The broker agrees but then balks when I ask for it to be put in writing. By now it is 12/3 and my own agent sends me an e mail informing me that I am already in breach of contract and demanding that I sign the contingencies within 2 hours or the contract is canceled. 2 hours come and go and I get an email from the broker owned escrow company with instructions canceling the escrow and charging me $ 1,000.00 cancellation fee. I have $ 5000.00 on deposit and have paid $ 1200.00 for appraisal and inspections. Now it looks like I have to pay thousands more in good money after bad, to try and get my deposit back. I signed the arbitration clause in the sales agreement, so I don't even know if I have the option of filing in small claims court...
If the Broker overseeing both agents flew into a rage because you would not sign off on the contingencies At this time you should call my good friend Steven J. Zipperman Esq. he lives in Coto de Caza +1 (949) 709-5800 to me Steven is the best Real Estate Attorney in Southern California he's fair, honest, knowledgeable and he will work hard as your attorney. give Steven a call and you will see how soon your agent will be calling again it is the buyers agent responsibility to protect you specialty in a situation like this, even if a sales contract cancels. Please call Steven and you will recover your deposit right away.

Answer this question