Home Buying in Mount Vernon>Question Details

Pattylambert, Home Buyer in Mount Vernon, IN

Does trulia have all properties on the MLS listed?

Asked by Pattylambert, Mount Vernon, IN Tue Jul 30, 2013

Answers

6
NO. Not all MLS listings are sent to websites. I think most MLS systems send out their listings to websites, but not all do and you can request a listing not be shared with online websites (why I do not know but the option is available). The most reliable national online website for listings is Realtor.com. Since all MLS sites are owned and operated by the local Realtor Associations listings are sent to that site directly. Other sites have 3rd party sources sending listings out if the MLS does not directly send them. Many local real estate companies have the local listings available on a search page on those site and that data is fed directly from the local MLS, so it is very up to date. Site that get listings via 3rd parties can often be out of date by a lot.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 30, 2013
Patty,
I see lots of good advice posted on your question so I won't continue in that line of thought.
However, if you want reliable accurate data on local homes for sale in your (and mine) area here in the Mt.Vernon/Evansville area then simply go to http://www.buyhomesnow.com. There you can access the real estate in our local area.
This site is the consumer site for the local Realtor MLS and the data there will be much more accurate.
Hope this makes your search easier for you.

Larry Davis
Patty,
Great question that has stimulated even more great questions.
Your question...does Trulia have all MLS listing?
Absolutely NOT! Let me explain.
Aggregate websites like Trulia and Zillow TAKE agent listing and change the data. They mask who the listing agent is and POST along side the home for sale a fabricated ZESTIMATE. Many home seller find this offending. Many agent find this predatory. Buyer should find what they see on aggregate websites a deliberate deception of the public.
-
In order to regain control of where a home owner listing appears and to maintain the integrity of the data, many home sellers are encouraged to not advertise their home on the internet.
-
Before everyone goes balistic, lets understand, real, qualified buyers are using the MLS. Placing a home in the MLS will distrubute that homes data to HUNDREDS of big websites who have agreed to a minimum level of service and integrity. The participation sites have aggreed to standards such as posting data recieved from the MLS without substitutions. to update status no less than every 24 hours and which data fees have priority.
-
So, when I say, "NO INTERNET" it means restricting distibution to reliable sources where the REAL SERIOUS buyers are searching and have an expectation of timely, reliable, accurate, comprehensive real estate data.
-
Also, be aware, there are four levels of buyers to whom real estate professional will present a home BEFORE it reaches the MLS. In a market of low inventory, being in one of the first four groups means you see the good stuff FIRST! Some find real value in working with a professional who have these networks.Those outside the network see home sold with one of fewer days on market.
-
It was recently announced that Realtor.com will be accepting DIY sales. That does not seem to align with a National Association of Realtors mission.
-
As Ron pointed out, aggregate websites are great for intertainment, but if you are facing a real estate decision, the are the least reliable source on the planet...well with the exception of the neighbor down the street who offer unsolicited real estate advise based on this flipping experience from 1986.
-
Patty, I hope I made the situation more clear. Based on your need and expectation, you know what you must do. Serious buyers do what serious people do. They rely on those who are professionals that actually DO what is required dozens of times every year.
Good answers. In short, not all listings are listed on 3rd party websites. Your local Realtor has access to all Multiple Listed property. I am curious about Tim's answer about Realtor.com. I was informed that the National Association of Realtors no longer owns this site and that they are treated much the same as Trulia. I am not really certain if this is true. If anyone knows if NAR (National Association of Realtors) still owns Realtor.com I would certainly like to know.
Think of Trulia as an entertanment and advertising site:
It is not an end-all for Residential shopping.
Only your Realtor can do that for you.
No. Only from those agents/brokerages that subscribe to a feed.