Home Buying in Florida>Question Details

Jessica, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

Does the seller/owner have the right to be present at a home inspection?

Asked by Jessica, Orlando, FL Tue Feb 23, 2010

I am in the process of buying a short sell house. We are scheduled to have the home inspection this week and my realtor told me that the seller wants to be involved in the inspection. We do not want him there since we are technically in the middle of negotiations. After discussing our concerns with our realtor she said the owner legally has the right to be present at the home inspection. Is this true? Is there anything we can do?

Answers

10
Sellers have every right to be any all inspections. can you anything, why? the sellers are home working, you may not want to be there. home inspection take a frew hours, so go in early, talk to inspector, walk around, leave and then come back in a few hrs. when the person is done, when you come back you go over the inspection in the home with inspector and if any issues then seller is going to find out and try and see about resolving them, why do you have any concerns? and your agent poersonally should be telling you that you have no worries, they are you agent
David
Yes, of course. Why would you have any concerns? If your inspector has any backbone it won't make any difference. let me know if you need an inspector referal. I've got some good ones.
Absolutely, the seller has the right to be at any inspection of their property.
Jessica,

I understand that this is a short sale, but the seller still owns the home. They would have a right to be present. The inspector I use will ask the seller questions about the house but will never give them any information about his findings without the express permission of the buyer. The inspector is working for the buyer and will call the buyer aside on occasion to point something out to them. The inspector will ask the buyer if it will be okay to send a copy of the report to the seller, it's the buyer's choice to share or not.

Good luck with your negotiations.

Nadine Mauro
Realty Hub, Inc.
561-414-0864
NadineMauroRE@yahoo.com
http://www.floridahouseseller.com/
Certainly, it is their home.If the seller is there, the inspector can explain the deficiancies in the home which may actually help you with the negotiations.
Owner can be present at anytime however it is a short sale who cares. Inspector represents you more than likely home is sold AS IS, contract has been executed most short sales seller majority of time will not do repairs.

Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
I would ask your agent to talk to the seller's agent and explain your concerns and wishes. Have your agent ask the seller's agent to speak to his/her client. If I represent the seller, I usually suggest that they not be present during the inspection. It 's usually to the seller's advantage not to be present during the inspection because the home inspector usually finds lots of things wrong that a seller might feel obligated to fix. But most of the time, buyers don't ask to have all the items fixed... and sometimes they don't ask to have any repairs done. So, I tell my sellers not to be present during the inspection... because it usually saves them from doing extra repairs. I don't know Florida real estate law, but I would try the above.

Douglas Fuller, Realtor, GRI, ABR, e-PRO
Certified Relocation Specialist
Prudential Northern Arizona Real Estate
http://www.douglasfuller.com
Direct (928) 607-0242
An owner will sometimes be present at a home inspection. While I would recommend against this it can and does happen on occassion. As the inspector is working for you you may want to review the results
of the inspection with the inspector and your realtor at a different time/location.
Jessica the inspector that I normally refer loves when the home owner is present. He shares nothing with them as they are not "his client" however he will ask them questions and they may divulge more information than they thought possible.
Of course the Seller has the "legal right" to be there. It's stupid and annoying and distracting, but there's no law saying they gotta scram!

On the other hand, I wouldn't stop making a stink over it. Your agent should explain to the other agent and the Seller that you want - demand - to inspect the home without interference from the Seller.